The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a crary system on my 320 header and only use it for about 300 acres of notill soybeans that was corn the previous year. I was going to cut out that middle half stub on the guard with a torch and grinder. Has anybody tried that and did it work better? I get stems sticking out in the field and probably looks worse than it is. I realize SCH is the way to go, but the guards itself are sharp and sickle in great shape. Just the inbetweens are dull and with thick corn stalks, it makes the field have some standing stems of beans. I also have guards that are like new off an old G header that would fit and just have to change sickle sections. Would that be better. My old 220 junk head with wore out guards and sickle did a better job. I have also rebuilt the stabilizer system which that doesn't look like the best idea either with plastic bushings. Just trying to get by with little expense. Otherwise I think harvest will commence in about 3-4 weeks around here. Any comments appreciated. Thanks Greg

·
Registered
406 Posts
We have a 35' 9250 draper and it is time to replace the sickle guards. Our head has the quick cut system on it and we would like to better ourselves if possible when we do so. I found this thread about the Crary system. Does anyone have this on their head and if so is it worth putting on.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have it on two heads now and had it open an earlier head I traded as well. The SCH setup was like three times the price when I went with the first Crary. We bought a head with the SCH knife on it and all the time we had cornstalks stuck on the guards. The only way to get them off was by pulling them by hand. Also had trouble with the SCH guards always bending and once you straighten them (big selling point according to the dealer) they snap off the next couple days use. I will never go back to SCH and ifI leave Crary it will be to go back to a 3" section and a 3" guard like the original knife set up of the 70's we had.
On the Crary, I am running one bearcut and one of their original section(can't remember what they call it, kingcut maybe??) and I think the bearcut works better, especially in green stem beans, but the bearcut section wears out quicker and certainly breaks easier when hitting a stick or other foreign object. Both are on series 3 20' heads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts