1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
Crazy fake news actually. Says multiple times in the article that the load is "unsecured" when, in fact, there is no less than three chains on there.:wink:

That guy might deserve an award for getting so much on there so he reduced trips to the scrap yard and lowered his carbon footprint...even if it's a Darwin award. LOL

Hmmm, was that you Albertabuck???

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would say the crime is hualing those cool old girls to the scrap yard. Maybe they aren't neat up that way but would think sombody would want some parts for a resto.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cant teach stupid !!!
fined only 2000 dollars, I say throw the book at him, book him dano! That's one of the reasons why we have to take that insane driving test for number one licence because of numb nuts like this and the dumb asss that caused the bus crash. Most farmers are way better experienced drivers than some of the twits on the road these days. Please red neckers have some common sense for the love of god., lucky no one got hurt from this.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
$2000 fine and $150 in scrap. That sucks. The fuel in his tanks is likely worth more than his load, truck, and trailer.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
As a crazy Canuck redneck myself, I hesitate to find fault with this creative trucker.

It does look like he made the effort to squish the back end of the Versatile enough that it was close to legal height.( Or perhaps the overpasses did it for him, either way, it served the purpose).

If the tickets were for insecure loads, I would question how they would stand up in court. IF there are enough straps/chains per item, and nothing loose, then there is a lot of subjectivity involved beyond that in deciding what is secure enough and what isn't.

If it was for over dimensions, truck/trailer not meeting standards, or paperwork, then so be it.

But, in Alberta( and I have asked multiple times), as long as it is farm machinery, most of the overdimension etc rules are irrelevant, until you take down a powerline at least. A commercial vehicle can haul farm machinery of any dimensions without permits or pilots. Those look a lot like farm machinery to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
He should have told the officer he was heading south for the harvest run, and this was holding him up. There can’t be too many of those old Versatile combines left anymore.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I witnessed a pickup truck towing a car with its roof crushed, along with another crushed car on top of that car. I thought THAT was "taking chances"!

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Crazy fake news actually. Says multiple times in the article that the load is "unsecured" when, in fact, there is no less than three chains on there.:wink:

That guy might deserve an award for getting so much on there so he reduced trips to the scrap yard and lowered his carbon footprint...even if it's a Darwin award. LOL

Hmmm, was that you Albertabuck???
I'll take that as you are being sarcastic I hope lol. Would think you would know by now I am a bit above shenanigans like that and never mind the fact I would be hauling those home not to the scrap yard lol. Reason I got the hyway wagons I do, two hiboys, three oilfield floats and a 40 ton 50 foot scissor neck lowboy, 30 some years of heavy haul a guy learns a trick or two. Seeing guys pull crap like this is something that happens way too often. What gets me is if he was from that north Barrhead area, unless he was trying to avoid the scales at Acheson, how the heck he ended up on the east side of the city, was a lot of extra miles to get to where he got stopped. I'm guessing Maple Leaf on the south side was his destination.
Tying stuff down is a learned art, not just a matter of throwing a few chains or straps over something, needs to be done so you don't damage whatever it is and needs to be done so things can't move. And needs to be done proper so you don't kill yourself or someone else either. Ever see those times when a load of pipe shifts forward into the truck cab? Totally preventable. They make a lot of commercial guys now take a course about load securement, only trouble is, much of that is BS and is based on idiot proofing things and not what works and what is practical. Be almost 20 years ago I had a stand off with a consultant on top of Silver Summit north of Edson over hauling heavy weight drill stem, he was demanding it striped with 2x4s and tied only with straps, I told him to take a hike, wasn't till he realized the other three trucks involved were under my command and we was all gonna be going home empty he backed down and we loaded and chained things down as you do when hauling stem off road. Needless to say a call got made from a head office in Calgary to our office in Nisku, and as I found out later, was Bill English himself that took the call and after getting an earful about this big prick with a red and black KW was being uncooperative, Bill being one of the old school crew of the patch backed me completely and much to the dismay of the guy on the phone approved of my decision and actions. As Bill told me later, thats why he liked having me out there with his name on the door of my truck, was to get things done right.

As for hauling farm equipment and being able to do so without permits and such, in Alberta, that only applies to owned equipment being hauled with farm plated trucks.

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
I'll take that as you are being sarcastic I hope lol. Would think you would know by now I am a bit above shenanigans like that and never mind the fact I would be hauling those home not to the scrap yard lol.
Ha ha, yeah I was just teasing. Figured this would be the exact opposite of what you would do and it was from your area, so I just couldn't resist....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts