The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer when we were cutting in Oklahoma I had a raccoon get into the engine compartment of one of my combines during the night. The next morning when the combine was started the **** went through the fan and bent it, the bent fan then gouged a hole in the radiator, and after cooler. The total damages were a radiator, after cooler, engine fan, fan belt, and one very dead ****. The total cost was $4800.00 and about a day and a half down time.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
What is it with raccoons and combines anyway? Several years ago, I was staying with a farming family, helping with field work and stuff. One thing I found immensely more comfortable than the hot, muggy guest room or camper [no air-conditioning], was to simply "camp out" on the engine compartment deck of their Massey-Ferguson 760. Yes, right there, atop a combine, far above the creepy things and night creatures, or so I thought. It was a comfortable, restful place, with no rain ever or even predicted.

One night, I was awkened by a thumping sound and could even feel the machine move. I called out to the lady I thought had just come out to check on me. No answer. Soon enough, I heard more thumps, this time several in succession, so I turned on the lantern and looked around. It was a raccoon! This animal could have only got up on top of the straw walker body by climbing whatever belts were there, going up the side. He was just as curious about me as I was him. For several minutes, he just stood up on his haunches, with both front paws gripping the back edge of the grain tank and peering across at me, just like one of those "Kilroy was here" cartoons.

Really, the ***** did not bother me, and I was tired enough to sleep right through their ramblings. None could access the point where I stayed, anyway, but one particular night, the family dog also found the raccoons. He ran furiously back and forth and around the immediate vacinity, chasing some to the combine and me, but treeing at least one more. The worst part was the dog barking ALL night long at those stupid *****! I did not get any rest that night, either.

I guarantee we all had that dog tied in his spot the next day. One of the treed ***** was also sprawled out on a large, overhanging limb and just slept there all that day. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks after my work was done, and I had gone back home, a very strong, foul odor was finally traced back to the combine. One one of the last days it was ran, a raccoon had been hiding inside the separator, and apparently had run the wrong way when it was put into gear. It's head/neck was fatally struck by one of the cleaning fan blades, but the body just hung there, rather than being ejected.

No physical damage to the combine, but it sure was a very gross, disgusting mess to clean up. I got a call telling me about this because someone in the family had even suspected I was going so far as to feed the *****, thus drawing them to the combine and me. NO WAY!!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Unit2, man that would be a bad way to start the day. What are the odds it would destroy so much stuff in a combine.

I remember one time we were fixing the trap on a Kinze 1050 cart. It was parked overnight with the auger up. There were muddy **** prints up the drawbar, across the gearbox, and up the unload auger going right into the box. Then there some more paw prints on the inside of the window. I don't know how it could crawl the steel that well to get in, but I was really surprised to see that it got out too.

-Lance

·
Registered
371 Posts
Parked the combine one night at the end of the field w/ the unloading auger out. Next morning I went to move it and the unloading auger was gone. Still don't know what happened to it!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Quote:Parked the combine one night at the end of the field w/ the unloading auger out. Next morning I went to move it and the unloading auger was gone. Still don't know what happened to it!

What use would that auger have been to anyone? That's odd, was it removed the right way or was it just torn off?

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
One harvester I talked to told me once that a guy working for him once got drunk with another guy and they went out and played combine demolation one night. I think he said they wrecked 2 combines. Another time we where cutting at south of Billings MT and when we got there in the morning all of out seats where missing.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Gibbons, that was bad. I know of a harvester who had treated his help really poorly, but sadly, it was two innocent combines which paid for his wrongdoing. They were destroyed by just that. I'm sure a few other combines here and there, have suffered the same fate. Vandalism is a crime, period. GRRRR!!!

Even more tragic, is that sort of destructive nonsense is a new sport in this country, and one that still sends a very negative, distateful message about our farmers and combiners. Is this something any self-respecting, professional combine operator wants as part of his/her image? I don't think so! I don't see one freaking thing funny or remotely entertaining about deliberately wrecking any combine, I don't care how old. I've restored enough old combines to know their value. Some of what I restored, were in "worse' shape than the old, but at least still running machines used in demolition derbies.

Heck yes, OUTLAW this horrible holocaust ASAP!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had some smaller combine parts dissappear, but nothing like a complete unloading auger being ripped off and carted off!
I did lose a auger this summer off one of my 2388's, but I actually got to witness the event .
My cart driver, for some unknown reason, decided to drive away from the loaded truck
turning left in very close to the combine waiting behind and on the opposite side of the truck,
both augers extended. It was one of those times I was busy operating another 23 a short distance away in rough going, seen what was about to happen. grabbed for my mic, dropped it , yanked my hydro back , grabbed the mic again, and before I could yell STOP we had a really wrinkled unloading auger to replace. (Maybe this belongs in "Stupid Things That Happened To... instead of "Crazy Things..)

Hope Everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
okay, the reason I joked about the crazy, weird stuff happening in Oklahoma [my first reply] was because of something I encountered way back in the early 1970's. Some farmer was clipping along, doing a good job of cutting, and suddenly his combine just died, stopped dead in its tracks! The farmer tried several times to restart it, and finally got off the machine and was doing all kinds of stuff to the ngine and maybe even the combine itself, checking parts and all. Some while later, his wife came back to the field, for another load of wheat and to drop off a sandwich and was also concerned that the combine was disabled in the field. She got up in the cab to try to start it, but she happened to look carefully at the console. Frustrated, she yelled down at her husband, alerting him to the simple fact that all that was wrong, was the poor combine had just run out of fuel!!!

Ahh, the simple things that confound the wise. LOL!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
There are somethings that will never be explained, combines running themselves out of fuel has to be one of them? Why would it do that?

·
Registered
127 Posts
We had our 1680 rotor drive gearbox set on fire on the hottest day we have ever harvested on about 3 years ago. The oil pipe which the dipstick is connected to wore through and let most of the oil out. If the weather had been cooler it would probably not have set on fire, and seized up instead. As it turned out it was completely fine, although I had to cool it with the high pressure cleaner!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We had a neighbor's 2388 do the exact same thing. Luckily the machine was still under warranty and CIH fixed the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts