The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a 635f and it works IMO great in peas/lentils and brutal in wheat/ barley.
Was thinking about keeping the 635f for pulses and buying a rigid draper MD or HB
For cereals.

Would this be crazy to have 2 heads?

·
Registered
628 Posts
If its crazy we must be nuts because we have 4 headers 2 hb and 2 flex. We are thinking of just going to 1 flex draper for each combine. Hb work great for cereals and are cheaper now that everyone wants macdons. When we bought the headers it was cheaper to have 2 per combine than a flex draper was worth so we went that route.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I run FD70 40' for cereals and soybeans. It just works great. I lock the wings and let it sit on the wheels for cereals and let it float in beans. One machine to maintain, less parts to keep in inventory is a big plus in my opinion

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Seems like varying opinions on the one header vs. two debate.

A rigid MD header isn't going to be a lot cheaper then a FD Macdon. And what you pay now you'll get back when you trade. That's how I look at it.

One header to store in shed, one header to move around, one header to buy parts for. Just seems simpler to me to have one instead of two.

IMO

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i think i can have a few extra parts on hand for multiple headers when new drapers are 70K. I'd buy used as prices are definitely on the down fall though.

curious though why is a ridged preferred to a flex in cereals if you need one for beans anyway? I've never ran a ridged and cant think of any in my area...everyone just locks up the flex heads

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
We run a JD 936D on one combine and a JD 635F on the second machine. The second machine does all the soys, which was the reason for going with the flex. Everyone says that drapers do a better job, but I can keep up with the draper all day. The only time I run into problems is in very tough straw situations. Then the straw wraps on the auger.

I think the draper would make more of a difference on a conventional cylinder/concave machine. It should help to have the crop feeding evenly. But on today's rotary's (we run a JD 9860 + JD 9870), does it really matter? The rotor chews everything up anyway.

To get back on topic... when we bought the second machine, we wanted a flex for doing the soys. A $14k flex head was cheaper than a flex draper.

Andrew

·
Registered
412 Posts
We bought a flex draper to speed up our bean cutting, then they had a stupid idea of buying a second combine and a auger head to cut beans while the other machine shells corn, it takes all our manpower to keep the corn away from the corn sheller, so I don't know what they were thinking taking at least 2 guys away from that operation to cut beans while the $70k dollar head we bought for beans sits in the shed.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
run multiple headers.

If a hired guy piles the big macdon into a power pole late at night, you can lock up the flex and be rolling quick, versus begging a dealer for the opportunity to pay way too much in rent to rent a head while yours is fixed or a replacement is tracked down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How are the fd70's for maintenance once they get older
Seems like most guys around here run them 3-4 yrs then trade
Maybe it's just to trade for a new head or
Maybe there's a reason
Not bashing the fd's just curious

·
Registered
790 Posts
curious though why is a ridged preferred to a flex in cereals if you need one for beans anyway? I've never ran a ridged and cant think of any in my area...everyone just locks up the flex heads
I thought that too until this year. We run a 635F with the pressure turned up and a 930f that is pinned up in wheat. Harvesting downed tough wheat at 18%+ and it is not going well. Doesnt feed nice...wants to wrap on the auger and the 635 is always picking up mud. After breaking the reel on Sat night we finally put on the pickup heads and got the Macdon out.....the rest of our wheat this year will be done this way!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
One header.

I run a 9660sts and started small grains this year with a 930 rigid head, I was also shopping for a flex head for soybeans. During cereal harvest, tough straw and downed wheat made harvest slow going with uneven feeding and slugging. I felt it was just unusual conditions and wasnt considering a flex drapper due to cost until I found a FD70 35' online at a reasonable price, 30k. I've put 2k in repairs (center canvas, skid/wear plates, guards, sections, tilt wire harness) but have been smiling ever since. My small grain harvest was over 30% more productive (faster ground speed & wider header) due to even feeding, slugging is very rare, and fuel consumption per acre is much lower(saving .5 gal/acre) The ease of switching to flex for beans is as simple as it gets. Ive got one header to do cereals and beans. My 930 header will never see small grains again, I'm turning it into my sunflower header.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.