The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
will be needing some crop lifters this year.
what are the best lifters for wheat and barley on d75 Macdon 35ft headers
Have used the Schumacher bolt on standard lifter on a rigid Macdon swather before on some over winter crop that was pancake flat and they were great. Biggest thing I found was when mounting them they needed the gap between the lifter and the bottom of the guard so they can flex up and not push and follow better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’d second the MD flex Draper lifter…. Not absolutely sure if it fits the D75 or older 972, however think they probably do. In my view they are a lot better than the standard style that bolts on under the guard because they can’t trap damp soil under the knife.

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
One issue with 972 is they have a 7° steeper knife angle, originally intended as a hay header that trickled down to subsequent generation headers.
973 header had the flatter knife used unchanged to this day I believe.
Point being, the 972 header suffers extreme knife angle for lifters, hopefully others here can steer you properly, I can’t.
There was a kit/procedure to flatten the 972 knife at one time.

In fact, it makes me happy I now own a header lifters can not be used on. Perfect!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Best lifter on a macdon is no lifter. We used to religiously run lifters. Had some spring thrash wheat that was so flat it was down in the drill runs. Lifters couldn't get under it. Headers and pickup reels have come a long ways. Once the lifters were out of the way the reel pulled the wheat up. Haven't put the lifters back on and we have had alot of flat crop.

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
Best lifter on a macdon is no lifter. We used to religiously run lifters. Had some spring thrash wheat that was so flat it was down in the drill runs. Lifters couldn't get under it. Headers and pickup reels have come a long ways. Once the lifters were out of the way the reel pulled the wheat up. Haven't put the lifters back on and we have had alot of flat crop.
Agree, MacDon would rather use the reel to lift crop, reel can be run below knife when all the way out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts