The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Captain you will laugh but this is one week of development on the corn crop!
Actually compared to how long its taking our crops to crawl out of the ground this year that is probably better than average right now. Last corn I planted May 6 is just spiking, guys that planted before Easter took 5 weeks to get out of the gorund, think I stuck my first in around April 18 or so and took 3-4 weeks to come out. Those seeds sat in the ground for 2 weeks before they even sprouted. Mid 30's F for lows tonight and last night, highs in the 50's F is not what we are used to in May. Weeds are barely growing or emerging.

Lot of guys re a **** of a lot worse off though. Poor guys down south are getting hammered by tornados.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Slow progress here as well. I read somewhere that Mb was 70% seeded and all the wheat and canola was in... perhaps they should have checked beyond the Red River Valley. I'm 50% seeded with the wheat all in, but still putting fertilizer on the canola and soybean ground. A couple days ago I had to break the ice on the dog's waterbowl so he could have a drink. I would really like to see some more spring weather (it was nice today, and yes, I had to fix our AC too) before I start planting broad leaves.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
We are finished seeding for now, hope that the weather next week doesn’t trigger reseeding. Moisture conditions were ideal for seeding and this year we seeded thru almost every slough and low spot. It would be nice to catch a bit of rain soon as I doubt that we have much reserve.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not much is in the ground in this area. The soil is either too cold or too wet. I've never been this late in the season without a single kernel in the ground.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Our first wheat is just coming out of the ground. Think we are about 60-70% done. About 300 of wheat left. 240 or so of soybeans. And about 700 of sunflowers. We saw 31F the other night. Garden hose was froze. Was 34F at 3:30AM this morning when I shut the planter down. We could use rain here.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Finally got going few days ago.. Third of spring wheat and 60% of corn planted in the past 48 hours. Catching up to ground ready to work. Now looking at sprinkles, changing to rain for a couple of days.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Can finally see some rows showing in the first barley we planted and oats somewhat. Still slow growing, even trees are at a standstill. Almost done, an easy day and a bit left, but usually the last 10 acres can drag out because of misjudging on inputs!! Been really dogging it doing canola, unsure if we should keep going or what, took a couple days off on the long weekend. Looked at the thermometer when I walked in the house tonight, was at 3 degrees, wondering now if we should have took a few more days off! Have a feeling we aren't done with frost yet, most of the days in the forecast has highs lingering around where the normal lows should be for this time of year.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not getting any better here yet. Pasture got about 2" in an hour on top of 2-3" overnight, crick was 4' down at 0800, pic was at 1100.

Tractor attached to planter between 2 good size cricks, she is belly deep and rising. Guy is from 40 mile away, lesson learned.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Jesus, that's brutal. I feel for you, been there, it's not nice.

Finally got a rain day here, not much yet, a few tenths maybe so far, don't have a gauge out yet. First measurable rain this year, wish it was warmer than 7 degrees though. Crops actually coming along now, slow but coming up at least, should have canola poking out next week maybe.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That crick can get angry but it does go down rather fast to, cows are penned up through the night but bet its almost bank in the banks now.

The top end of crop yield is gone in this area. The crop has been way to stressed and is off to the worst start in 11 years. Going to be a good chunk of replant when/if the conditions/calendar permit. Sure could be a lot worse, other areas are really getting slapped.

I've said it before I will say it again, I will take a drought any day over excess rain.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Us Valley boys have been thru so many spring floods I ll take H e double hockey sticks over high water. Captain USA I know all to well what it is like to have six feet of water on top of your quarters. Very painful, to this day I hate going to the lake! A few years back in 09 I remember taking the canoe out to check on some quarters towards the end of May. I learned you just got to roll with the punches. How bad is the delay in seeding or drowned out crops. Is it isolated to a small area or is a huge swath up and the mid west. Traders don't seem to concern yet about all the hype. I agree a drier year is a lot less headaches. I wish we had prevent plant on our insurance up here in Canada. Is the 16 billion dollars that sonny and trump are handing out enough to help you guys. I wont comment on our crops yet as their will be plenty time for counting when the dealings done.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dont forget corn needs it growing days just growing shorter season doesnt work that well.
If you cant seed it on time your usually dealing with wet corn come harvest or not even maturing

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How bad is the delay in seeding or drowned out crops. Is it isolated to a small area or is a huge swath up and the mid west.
Yeah, it's widespread and the trade has picked it up. We are actually probably one of the best spots in the corn belt. Basically South Dakota is a write off. Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri are all in the delayed boat. Illinois, Indiana and Ohio are exceptionally behind. Northern and southern Iowa are excessively wet. Widespread severe weather from Texas panhandle through Oklahoma and Kansas into Missouri is taking its toll.

We are realistically looking at a significant reduction in acres planted and yield. Estimates are looking at potentially 5-10 million acre reduction in corn.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Those guys in the I states must be stressed to say the least. To think that some of that land goes for 12000-14000 dollars an acre. Dare I remind guys of 93!Even with the shorter season corn and soybean varieties, the Last thing we need now is an early frost in September !

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Have not planted an acre for a week here, stopped raining this afternoon but day after tomorrow it's back again for awhile.
No way it will dry up enough tomorrow to touch a thing. Never seen it like this here ever.
North of I 94 they have had considerablely more planting days, north of highway 200 on the eastern side of the state was starting to beg for rain. Now that is strange!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Bah holding off seeding last of Barley and some contract green feed. Heavy land would lump up bad, needs rain before we finish

/sigh

21 - 40 of 106 Posts