The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Holy frig did the temp drop here fast today! Was doing a few things around the yard and went to another yard to cut some grass, was considering wearing shorts as it was nice and warm, low 20's. Wind picked up and dropped about 10 degrees in less than an hour. See tomorrows high is 10 or 11 and and a low of 1 and most of the week has lows around 4-5 degrees. This is getting a little much.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Starting to feel almost like global cooling. The month of May is looking to have about 5 days at normal temperatures, all other days have been noticeably below normal. I mowed the grass for the first time since July and 70% of that was just a reminder of why I didn't mow it for so long - it is not growing. It's dry here. 0.5" of rain since snow melt, 4.5" last year and barely enough snow to ride the sleds across the fields this winter. Sold some barley for feed a couple weeks ago but going to sit on the rest. Our grasslands and ditches along the roads aren't greening up yet. 2017 was dry but good soil moisture, 2018 was dry and used up soil moisture, guys counting on pasture in 2019 may be getting nervous. Rain rolled through yesterday, enough to wet the cement. That's it from that weather system.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
-1 here this morning. Wife is freeking out her plants might have bought it.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Went all spring without the A/C working, only 2 days I could have actually used it, and even then it wasn't terribly hot, just a little warm. Guess not getting any heat helps a bit with the lack of moisture, same as Ken here, only a half inch since snow melted and 4-5 days above 20, and 2 of those days were in April. Only have 90 acres of canola left to put in, just sprayed it yesterday because it is along a busy gravel road and was so dusty there is no way the chemical would have worked. Only field we sprayed since last spring because last fall was, well last fall, and there is literally no weeds growing, maybe the nice, long cold winter we had wiped out all the weeds???!!!! A guy can hope, right?

·
Registered
383 Posts
For the guys in western Canada does anybody know the length of effectiveness of Helix or prosper seed treatment on canola. Cant get a clear answer how long it works for. It seems like candy to the flea beetles. Lots of guys are spraying here in the valley. Some fields will have to be reseeded. Seems like a lot of money to spend on basically just a dye. Very cool here corn is just sitting at a stand still. Low tonight is around 0. Whats next , a carbon tax for global cooling!

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
For the guys in western Canada does anybody know the length of effectiveness of Helix or prosper seed treatment on canola. Cant get a clear answer how long it works for. It seems like candy to the flea beetles. Lots of guys are spraying here in the valley. Some fields will have to be reseeded. Seems like a lot of money to spend on basically just a dye. Very cool here corn is just sitting at a stand still. Low tonight is around 0. Whats next , a carbon tax for global cooling!
Need to use Lumiderm and wait until mid-May to put canola in these days. Every year the early seeders end up spraying and re-seeding here and even they had the self-control to park the drills until at least May 15 this year. I see patchy frost in the forecast for tonight again here too...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yea... our low is forecast for 2C tonight. I still haven't put the canola or beans in the ground but I'll get at it this week if it gets dry enough. We were very dry, but we've picked up 28.4 mm since Thursday so the wheat is getting a decent drink now. I had some on sand that was starting to yellow. Flea beetles have become an issue here as well in early seeded canola. The newer formulations don't seem to last more than 2 weeks for even marginal control so if the seed sits in the ground an extra week you have problems. I know there's some guys here that think I'm nuts for waiting (and history might prove them right yet) but the only crop of buckwheat I ever lost to frost was on the 7th of June. Just caught the growing tip coming out of the ground and I know lots of canola around Dauphin got it too. Doesn't kill it, but it destroys crop vigor and makes you think you can leave it when it's really screwed. I don't like these cold nights. They say April set records for being warm, but May sure isn't going to.

·
Registered
346 Posts
We finished Thursday before the rain. We have lots of canola up. Hopefully it won't freeze. It's been a cold day so I think it will handle minus two no problem.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
The cool weather has been great for us with very little moisture. It has cut down the evaporation and will give the crop a chance to germinate. With the winds we have had if it was 25-30 degree C it would have been ugly. The crops have been coming up nice but will need water soon.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Froze here last night. My thermometer was -2 last night around 10 o'clock, not sure how accurate it is though. Was still frost on the roof of the vehicles this morning at a quarter to 8. Have a couple quarters of canola just out of the ground, hope it is alright. Most of the cereals have been froze so many times, they should be getting toughened up by now.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
And we cant buy a little band of rain to swing up from the US. Nothing in the forecast here out to June 10 now. I hate trying to grow a crop with no rain.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
And we cant buy a little band of rain to swing up from the US.
I guarantee there is not a farmer in nearly the entire USA that would gladly ship the rain to you for free.

I'd rather try to grow a crop with no rain than not be able to get it in at all, plus a drought never took out my fences like a flood.

The old timers always said "Plant in the dust bins will bust, plant in the mud you're ******". Or something like that that. Maybe plant in the mud crops a dud, same outcome.

I don't think we will get to 60% planted on corn this week as a nation, report comes out tonight or maybe tomorrow night since today is Memorial Day.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Cooling atmosphere means colder air pushes further south where it hits warmer moist air and ends up as rain. The denser air also moves faster so the Jet stream will tend to move south while also carrying moisture more easterly before being released. We will have to use observation and trending to see if any of this actually has occurred over the last 5 years. I would also make a guess that tornado activity increases over the last few years as colder air mixing with warm air does these things. Just speculation, I am no climate scientist. Because apparently all this stuff is better explained by global warming. I wonder if early fall frosts will be more proof of global warming. Parking the combine last fall in September because of snow was definitely proof of global warming we are told.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Finding that I need some heat here. Hills are growing fine but low spots still not breaking the ground in most places. This goes for peas, mustard and flax too. Ground is cool in low areas. For example, put flax in around and 1" deep and the high ground I have nice rows of seedlings with good plant density. Go to a dry slough (no mud) and the shoots are there but not breaking the surface. Not a depth issue. This is on pea stubble. Have areas where I was burning off sloughs in spring and burnt off some pea stubble and the flax is days ahead in the burnt area vs a foot away where the pea stubble remains. I suspect some rain would help bridge between the soil surface and the seed bed to conduct some heat down. Sun and heat will have to do till rain comes or the soil moisture disappears.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, we have all the beetles in our canola fields, George, ringo , paul and whats the other guy! Spraying borders and some guys are reseeding their entire canola crop. Even though bean seed is expensive and the price for soybeans is not the best right now at least it can with stand excess moisture and the bugs. Canola is like your favorite sports team , it can end up breaking your heart ! Even Lumiderm was no match. arrh!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Only Ringo and Paul left.
Where is this at?
Red river Valley, Hoping BASF will change the formulations soon cause its getting to be expensive paying for lumiderm and not getting your money worth. I seeded MAY 12 so not that early. Maybe its the stripped flea beetle that is resistant. Is it a problem out west. Even the grasshoppers are hatching. Last year was bad , this seems early for hoppers!IF its not one thing its the other.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Red river Valley, Hoping BASF will change the formulations soon cause its getting to be expensive paying for lumiderm and not getting your money worth. I seeded MAY 12 so not that early. Maybe its the stripped flea beetle that is resistant. Is it a problem out west. Even the grasshoppers are hatching. Last year was bad , this seems early for hoppers!IF its not one thing its the other.
The striped ones are certainly bigger than the original so think they have to eat more of the lumiderm candy before they slow down. We have had only the striped ones here for past few years so maybe they eat the other ones too. They are chewing away here on any of the stuff that was planted May 15ish and up, but growing conditions good enough that hoping my untreated seed will grow out of them. I was at a retailer today and they busy directing the scouting program. It seems to be good salesmanship to encourage spraying if any flea beetles are seen - if that was the case everything should be sprayed, but think that the wrong thing. Cutworms likely the next pest on the horizon.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts