The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are all your crops doing in mid season? Around here we need water real bad. Not very many double-crop beans coming up, corn is wilted and trying to silk and my early beans are flowering, and the price is falling faster than the sky. Hope we all make something.Rained around us but haven't seen measurable rainfall is 5 weeks. But you have to love it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Got some rain earlier today, nice and gentle unlike the last measurable amount a few weeks back that was 6" and drowned a bunch...

Beans are starting to flower, corn anywhere from knee high to head high, furthest along should begin to flower in a week or 2, no idea what the short stuff is going to do though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The early seeded spring wheat is just starting to head-about 10 days later than normal. Winter wheat is just starting to turn. Folks are just starting to cut dryland hay, again a bit late due to the cooler than average season so far.

It's been wet here, but in a good way. If we can avoid hail for the rest of the season we should be looking at above average yields but a late harvest.

Mark

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
We're just about finished with another disastrous wheat harvest (I can't figure out why the price keeps dropping like it is). The corn was looking great until a storm on June 30 wrecked a lot of acres; my little part of the world is going to be short on bushels this year. The milo and sunflowers are looking pretty good now, but it's been a nightmare keeping the weeds down.

At least this summer feels more normal, whatever that means anymore. We've had a few decent rains recently, and have at least a small chance of rain every week or ten days. I'm not prepared to say the drought is broken, but it's grip has loosened some.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Corn crop looks good so far and the beans look good on the hills but the in the bottom land their hurting from to much rain. The winter wheat crop was bad because of to much rain and double crop beans are still being planted. The weeds in a lot of places have the edge so far and the markets are pretty depressing. I don't understand what the deal is. Are they just trying to scare us into making contracts?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm on top of the escarpment in south central Manitoba and crops are looking very good with ideal moisture levels. Buckwheat got off to a slow start with the late seeding... started out too dry, then too cold and then too wet but it seems to be recovering. Wheat, canola and soys are also 2 weeks behind, but looking very good. The west side of the province is seriously flooded, the southeast is wet as is the northern Interlake. It seems to me that ever since the original gasohol scare that we have a market more driven by speculators than supply/demand. Right now all the speculators have pulled back and are waiting for the bottom. Once the supply figures start coming in different than projections, I think we'll see them diving back in... probably by next Feb./March. I don't think the carry over numbers in western Canada will be as high as predicted either, there has been a lot of late movement and anyone in the stressed areas will be selling all they can.

·
Registered
683 Posts
No rain here for 3 months. Temps near 100 for two weeks.......no wheat to worry about cutting for the most part. Some of it cured green standing like hay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Crops look real good around here so far, canola is creeping up on full bloom wheat is starting to head and beans are finally starting to get some height from warmer temps and sunshine. I'd like to hear from people in the three "I" states. Apparently record crops coming? Looks like another storm system moving in to dump more rain in that area this weekend.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
A lot of flooding and wiped out areas around here. Large swath of crops eliminated by hail to the west of me. Beans need some dry weather to get them to take off again. Corn looks awesome from the road, in the field there is some greensnap and lodging. All in all things look to be an well above average crop around here. It would have been an exceptional crop but the recant weather has knocked it back a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.