The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, just wondering if anyone has tried or considered a Cross Slot air seeder. Thanks!

Chaddermd

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've run one for 7 years now. I'm not a dedicated fanboy of CS, but I'm also not a hater like a few on here (who have never seen one let alone run one). What would you like to know? Also can email me if you'd like too. I'll send you a PM

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've run one for 7 years now. I'm not a dedicated fanboy of CS, but I'm also not a hater like a few on here (who have never seen one let alone run one). What would you like to know? Also can email me if you'd like too. I'll send you a PM
I was waiting for the insults to fly when I saw the OP! They must be busy in the field.

I too would like to see the conversation public.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I was waiting for the insults to fly when I saw the OP! They must be busy in the field.

I too would like to see the conversation public.
Usually its a bloodbath! I've seen less insults and emotion out of a political discussion. Then Matt Hagny usually comes in, calls everyone idiots (indirectly) and judges the Deere opener with his modifications to be supreme.

However, as I've said we've run one for 7 years. I'm not convinced it's the perfect opener by any means. However most of the criticism you'll hear on here is from folks who have "heard" or "read something" about them and never seen one. So ask away.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Usually its a bloodbath! I've seen less insults and emotion out of a political discussion. Then Matt Hagny usually comes in, calls everyone idiots (indirectly) and judges the Deere opener with his modifications to be supreme.

However, as I've said we've run one for 7 years. I'm not convinced it's the perfect opener by any means. However most of the criticism you'll hear on here is from folks who have "heard" or "read something" about them and never seen one. So ask away.
I've been searching for the "perfect drill" my whole farming career and I'm convinced it doesn't exist, everything is a trade off in one way or another, you just have to do the best you can for your individual situation. So in regard to the drills performance in the ground (not maintenance or purchase price), what do you think is the Crossslots biggest drawback?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I've never heard or seen of these. Anyone have any pics?

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
If you have heavy clay they pull really hard, my friend has a 40’ with 12” spacing 430bu cart and 9630T is maxed out at 6mph.
Hair pinning is not an issue with them, from when I pulled it it seemed like the heavier mat of straw the better it worked

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've been searching for the "perfect drill" my whole farming career and I'm convinced it doesn't exist, everything is a trade off in one way or another, you just have to do the best you can for your individual situation. So in regard to the drills performance in the ground (not maintenance or purchase price), what do you think is the Crossslots biggest drawback?
For us the biggest drawback is parts and service. Despite what they tell you, you are often on your own when getting used to one of these. That's why CS guys tend to hang together as we are often the only ones who really understand how to operate them vs. any company guys. Parts are always a challenge as they do not have an adequate distribution network like many of the larger companies. Also they pull hard, really hard depending on your soils. I pull our 37' drill on 12" spacing with a 9620RX and it's just about right for the drill in our conditions. If you want a light pull buy a hoe. Not sure how this compares to you Pillar.

·
Registered
246 Posts
For us the biggest drawback is parts and service. Despite what they tell you, you are often on your own when getting used to one of these. That's why CS guys tend to hang together as we are often the only ones who really understand how to operate them vs. any company guys. Parts are always a challenge as they do not have an adequate distribution network like many of the larger companies. Also they pull hard, really hard depending on your soils. I pull our 37' drill on 12" spacing with a 9620RX and it's just about right for the drill in our conditions. If you want a light pull buy a hoe. Not sure how this compares to you Pillar.
Wow, yeah if your drill is giving a 9620RX a workout it must pull pretty hard.

When it comes to dragging my Pillar around, it actually doesn't pull that hard...until I get to a hill. My tractor is 335 HP stock, though I chipped it up to about 400. I can pull a 40' drill on 10" spacing 6 MPH on the flat, no problem. When I get to a hill though I'm grabbing gears pretty fast and on some of my stuff its steep enough I can't get up it and have to seed it going downhill. It depends a lot on the soil conditions and how much fertilizer I have in my saddle tanks at the time. When the saddle tanks are full I get up the hills a lot easier, that's for sure.

How well do you feel the active hydraulic down pressure system on your drill works? Do you think it does a good job of maintaining constant packing pressure?

·
Registered
646 Posts
The down pressure does fairly good. The automatic modes work alright in the spring when we have fairly consistent moisture. In the fall, harder dry soil can make the automatic mode go a little crazy so I often run the down pressure manually to get a constant push. How is the Pillar for down pressure in very hard dry soil? Noah Williams has one and he's pretty convinced its the only way to go. Not that I want to ruin his enthusiasm, but told him that it usually takes a year or two to find out all the areas it either shines or falls short.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’ve had pretty good luck getting the Pillar to penetrate into harder ground. The one thing it has going for it that most other disc drills don’t is the seed boot/scraper helps pull the opener into the ground similar to how a hoe opener does. This helps offset the disc wanting to climb up, so it isn’t just the spring down pressure holding the opener in the ground. This attribute isn’t without it drawbacks though, and I’m sure packing pressure is still fluctuating significantly as the opener goes through harder and softer ground. It would be interesting to put a load cell on the packer somehow so down pressure could be monitored in the field. Crosslot’s active downpressure system is a interesting albeit complex solution the the changing downpressure problem and I was curious to how well it worked.

I totally agree with you about things taking several years before you fully know the effects of a change. I’m still learning new things and figuring stuff out with this drill. I’m four years into having a stripper header and the effects that change are still developing and throwing curve balls at me, which is something I know you can appreciate.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
360 fendt with 3.5m cs on 6 inch spacings, it knows its there in tight dirt, makes tractor grunt.

Mainly used for summer crop here, i swear this thing creates moisture!! Sows alot of barrisica for grazing.

Ant

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Here is ours in 90 bu straw. Drill is set up for quad shoot (two dry two liquid). Currently putting down three. Seeding club winter wheat, putting a low rate of starter on the seed band (using a Surefire), and the primary on the other side of the slot. The drill is all run with a JD 2000 ISO controller.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I worked at Gates Manufacturing in Lansford, ND for a few year in High School and we built the frames and wings for these bad boys for awhile. Wow is there a lot of steel in these seeders, I don't remember for sure but I think the large uprights on the mainframe were either 2" or 1.5" thick steel. Don't remember what width we were building but i would guess in the 30-40' range.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I worked at Gates Manufacturing in Lansford, ND for a few year in High School and we built the frames and wings for these bad boys for awhile. Wow is there a lot of steel in these seeders, I don't remember for sure but I think the large uprights on the mainframe were either 2" or 1.5" thick steel. Don't remember what width we were building but i would guess in the 30-40' range.
Yep. Those side plate frame drills need that weight in the center to transfer to the wings. Our box frame style is built for the PNW hillsides.

·
Registered
339 Posts

I'm sorry if you feel insulted by anything I've written about the Cross-Slot. My intent is not to imply that people using them are idiots. I'm only trying to point out the pros and cons of any particular seeding tool being used in no-till.

best regards,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts