The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also interested in this. Looking at corn spec row crop tractors in Iowa that I can’t find here. Ive heard you have to be able to prove the equipment you’re looking at can’t be purchased in Canada, or at least can’t find something similar.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I would apply for a Canadian import export number first if you don’t have one. This number qualifies you as a commercial operation rather than an acreage owner with a crabapple tree.

Thanks to the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement you should be able to assemble the various items that you may be asked to present. I do think it is always left to the discretion of the border officer to decide if you need to quarantine upon return based on their own opinion. I crossed once this summer to pick up parts orders and my new import export number was a handy qualifier. You likely should read this link and don’t plan on an extra activities while out of country.

Cross Border Movement of Business Persons

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
I would say yes. Use the commercial lane. You are on business. Take proof of what you are going to look at. Maybe even a brief letter or email or text from seller with a picture. Some proof. Call ahead and explain/ask. You have done it before but because of COVID.... Remeber, you are commercial, you are essential.

I tried to go into canada to pickup equipment I purchased. Canada sounds much worse than the US for this. I made it up for one trip. Got another person at the window second trip and was turned back and warned to never try it again. Told I can hire a commercial hauler to haul it for me. No luck getting a commercial hauler to get it so far.

My guess on my mistakes. I did not take commercial lane. I said it was for my PERSONAL farm. I said it was my second trip that day. Canada might have a 2 week quarantine thing they wanted me to do? I don't get that, it doesn't make sense. I meet with zero people, told them this. I loaded it. This whole COVID thing is simply stupid, frustrating, and makes zero common sense to me.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Sounds like the state boards in Australia. Anyone would think the virus had wiped out our federal government, the state governments are running the country atm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts