The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the intercooler to clean it. I taped up the inlet and outlet, then cleaned it with a hot water pressure cleaner. The hot water heated the whole thing up and the air inside expanded, but had nowhere to go as the inlet and outlet were taped up.

I noticed small bubbles of air escaping from the join between the side tank and the base frame at the place circled on the attached photo.

From what I can see, it is only welded around the outside, and not on the inside corner, so there is no way that it can be air tight.

So, do all John Deere CTS-2 intercoolers leak at this spot? Maybe other models/other brands do as well?

The machine runs fine and has enough power, so I am not going to replace it.

When the engine is running, if it leaks, it shouldn't be sucking dust into it, as it is pressurised. But what about when the engine is stopped and you are blowing out the radiator with an air gun?

Just wondering if they are all like it? Just badly made?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Should be no leak, that don't look right, maybe talk to local radiator shop about getting it checked out, just because it has a turbo does not mean it is always in a boost situation there can also be a vacuum in there when the load is light or non existant

·
Registered
13 Posts
intercooler

tubes are glued into header tanks so if you weld all it does is set epoxy on fire. there is a test for maximum leakage on intercooler don't remember the test but your dealer should be able to look it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.