The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reel drive hydraulic pump shaft failed on our CTS-2. The end of the shaft broke away where the groove for the circlip goes. This allowed the shaft to slide out of the bearings causing the pump to come out of place and run its belt off.

Unable to find anything that would have caused this to happen. The bearings were okay, all the other pulleys on the same belt seem fine.

Anybody else had it happen? Is it common? Seems like only having a circlip to hold it together is a bit flimsy? Is it just a bad design?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow!! never seen that. Those bearings are pressed on there. Or should be, maybe you had a bad pulley from the start.
You saw it here first.......

The bearings were loose on the shaft. Still not really a reason for the end of the shaft to break away like it did.

The new shaft and bearings were tight like you describe. I still think the circlip as a retainer is pretty dodgy even with a press fit.

Item 13 looks important on the parts diagram, I thought it may be some sort of spacer between the bearing and the shaft, but it is simply a little plastic plug that goes in the end of the pulley shaft to stop dust getting inside. The scale of it compared to the rest of the drawing is wrong, and it is in the wrong place on the drawing as well. It falls out and becomes lost within the first hour of use even when you put some silicone on it to try to help it stay in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly an aftermarket pulley from a previous repair? Some of these parts have questionable quality
I wondered that myself, but the pulley/shaft had JD and the part number cast onto it.

Disappointing to see Made In China cast into the new genuine JD part which was over $600. Probably cost them about $10 to get it made.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wonder if the bearings have gone bad before and mangled the pully/shaft snap-ring groove.....and damaged pully got re-used anyhow. Then just didn't hold.

Or maybe the bearings got replaced and the tech didn't install the snap-ring??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.