The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a CTS-2 which I think runs a bit on the hot side.

On cool days, 25 - 30 degrees Celcius, the needle stays just to the left of halfway all day. This seems to be about right to me.

On hot days, 30 - 40 degrees Celcius, the needle gets up higher, just to the right of halfway, when operating. When you stop working and drive back to the bin to empty out, it gradually drops back to the spot where it would normally sit on a cool day, then when you go back working again, it will gradually work its way back up again.

The rotary screen doesn't let excessive residue through and so the radiator is not blocked. Blowing it out with an air compressor each day really only clears out a bit of dust which is not enough to restrict airflow.

This is the second year we have owned this machine, and it behaved the same last year.

The rotary screen had a new belt and idler pulleys last year after an idler pulley seized up and the screen stopped.

The radiator and cap were brand new John Deere genuine parts at the start of this harvest due to a slight leak from the core of the old one.

Coolant was brand new Caltex extended life anti-freeze/anti-boil when the new radiator was fitted.

The old coolant came out clean, no mud or rust to be seen. Engine was flushed several times with clean water before the new coolant was put in. The air was bled out of the fitting on top of the engine.

There are no coolant leaks. Heater circuit is blocked off.

Intercooler was removed and cleaned while radiator was out.

Fan belt is in good condition and tight. Water pump serpentine belt is in good condition and tight.

I have operated an early model CTS and it does the same thing, but maybe doesn't get up quite as high. I know it has a different engine so it is not a very good comparison.

Seems to me the only other possible causes are the water pump or the thermostat. But I don't want to throw parts at it if it is normal behaviour for a CTS-2. The operators manual only says to make sure it is in the black zone. So I am worried about nothing? Is this normal?

·
Registered
219 Posts
X2 check with heat gun. The cooling system is designed to take a certain amount of heat out of the coolant on a pass through radiator. If the ambient temp is higher, engine will likely run hotter also. I believe that is a single pass radiator so you should see around a 20c drop in temp from inlet to outlet of rad a multple pass rad will have baffles in the tanks, those rads should drop closer to 40c from inlet to outlet. If temp drop is 5c for example rad is likely plugged, if you have a 30 - 40c (single pass)drop then look at thermostat or water pump. Measure temp on thermostat housing and compare to rad inlet. Should be same or indicates a thermostat.

·
Registered
370 Posts
the only way to really tell if this is hot is with a master calibrated thermometer. an infrared gun will give you an idea , but it is after all a reference only as the emmissivity setting and color and material you are measuring will give all kinds of different readings. a contact thermometer would be advantageous. typically gauges that are just colors and even ones that are numbers may not be accurate. if you know the actual values, then you can troubleshoot and make remedial actions if needed.... don't get your panties in a knot for nothing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.