The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CTS-II is leaking a little bit of oil from the engine gearcase, around the pulleys that drive the rotors and unloading auger. It's hard to tell exactly where with all the pulleys still in place.

What sort of job is this to repair? Is it normally just seals or do shafts or housings wear? Any special tools needed? Easily done in place on the machine or not?

Does it have a breather? I can't see one.

Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Wheel
Green Terrestrial plant Art Gas Glass

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Gear case seal is gone. Known issue but not common. Only way to change is to separate the gearcase from the engine. Usually easier to pull the engine. Book says 40 hrs but most experienced techs can do it in 25. Should do the engine seal while it’s apart and the coupler as well

·
Registered
449 Posts
remove belts, pull outside pulley off with your best puller and torch. tappered shaft so comes off with a bang.remove shaft, bearing and seal. when you put it back together replace the outside bearing housing so bearing is held tight in the right spot.did it twice before i figured out there was still movement on the shaft because the bearing holder was worn out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

It seems to me that it must be item number 6 that is the leaking seal.

I see no reason to have to separate the gearcase from the engine to replace it? Looks like I could do it while still in place on the machine?

When you say replace the housing, do you mean item 7 or item 14?

Light Font Line Screenshot Auto part
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I see no reason to have to separate the gearcase from the engine to replace it? Looks like I could do it while still in place on the machine?
I don't think you have to remove the gearcase to replace the output seal.
The gearcase will sometimes leak on the other side at the input engine end.
And for that repair you would need to remove the gear case.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some tips for anyone who has to do this job.

Item 7 is $350 and has to come from USA. Mine looks fine so I am re-using it.

Item 14 is a single pressed bearing flange. Nice to help hold the bearing well, but I can't see that it has any affect on the seal.

Handwriting Dishware Material property Font Adhesive

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The nice little cut out piece of the frame allows for a puller to pull the outer pulley. The engineers were thinking for a change. Threads in the pulley to pull from are M12.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Vehicle brake Rim

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will need to lift the side wing higher than normal to be able to pull the long shaft out. The only thing you need to remove is the side direction indicator light at the front before lifting.

Green Wood Building material Beam Gas

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The long shaft has to be pulled right out, because the shaft has a shoulder that stops the bearing being removed from the outside.

No amount of pulling will get the bearing past this shoulder. I know for certain.

It's not clearly obvious when it's still assembled and still in the gearcase.

Wood Household hardware Door handle Door Gas
Automotive tire Fluid Cylinder Gas Auto part

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are actually two seals. The big seal is item 6 in the picture up the top. The little seal is item 16 in the picture below. It's pretty obvious that there must be two seals when you actually think about how the individual pulleys are independent of each other. You will need them both as there is really no way to tell which one is leaking.

Otherwise, it's all pretty logical.

Organism Terrestrial plant Gas Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Product Font Line Rectangle Screenshot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts