The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 1998 cts 2 and has no suggested settings for yellow peas or mustard please Help soon thanks

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Greg did you ever have trouble saving peas over the rotors. Losses aren't that bad, just wondered if the slow down kit was maybe worse for that.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I never put the slow down kit in as I only did peas one year with the cts (the next year i had the sts) but there was some who thought the rotors bounced to many peas out the back. Its not an easy task switching back and forth so I was a little trepid to put it in for 150 acres anyway.

I could see a desire to slow the tines down though esp. if splits are excessive.

One thing my nieghbour said was the cts had a lot more power with the slow down kit in. Makes sense as with the tines going slower there is a lot more torque on them. I also was trepid about that in our high mog conditions. The gear boxes driving the tines seemed puny to start with and increasing the input torque would only hasten there demise.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
No there is more then enough area and time to seperate the peas out even with the slower speed. There is more of a problem with the peas actually bouncing around and out the back end. hence the theory that slower tines will save some.

Personally I think a round bar concave would do more for saving peas then the slow down kit but... changing out the concaves for peas and going back to wheat is a big big job. dang these compromises.

Pea combines should be set up like corn or bean machines i think. small grain machines are set up differently then large grain 'bines and I don't know of any machine make that is easily switched back and forth. putting inserts into a round bar concave is a compromise people. If it was better we would all have round bar concaves in for threshing wheat.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
mustard will be the same as rape or canola. yellow peas just open your sieves up wide and turn up the fan and slow the cylinder and open the concave up.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
In doing peas, make sure the straw is dry. If you start too soon in the morning and the overnight dew has not dried off the separating capacity will be terrible and the amount of cracks will be high. Seems to pick up moisture immediately around sunset as well.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I thought the slow down kit was just to save on splits. Never cosidered the rotors would rifle material at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts