The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a friend (also on this site) that the CTS/CTS II's can't be used for crops like Corn etc.

I Don't know enough about them to say if its true or not, So I was wondering if you guys knew,

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
That's BS. The CTS is the most versatile, underated & unsupported machine JD has put on the market in recent years. It will do anything you wish to throw at them & even in the toughest conditions. True, a rotor machine will have more capacity in corn & probably canola, but once you know what to do with them & how to set them, they will do anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We used a CTS to cut corn long before the STS came out. That was when most people had 9600s and 9610s in corn. You probably have the cts because another crop in your mix makes up a large portion in your operation. If corn is one of the other crops in your mix that don't make up large %, then use the CTS.

That was our case, we needed the cts to cut rice and didn't have much corn. The point is it can be used and has been by some.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've seen alot of 9000s cut rice. There was a time when the 9000 existed and the CTS didn't. Many of those guys with 9000s got stripper headers when they came out.

The catch is this, the 9000s will cut rice and the CTS will cut corn although you could do it faster vice versa. However, you don't need two different combines if you have rice and corn if your operation is sized for one. Some of the larger farmers had a 9000 and a cts so they were in good shape. I was basing all this information toward someone who would only want one machine.

Times have changed and this area is using the STS in all crops.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
The 9000 will "cut" rice but if you want the rice seed in the bin, use a CTS. The corn kit for a CTS is 1" spacers for the grate frames - it moves the whole frame away from the tynes & a slow down pulley for the tyne separator drive. All you need to do is make your own spacers of about 1/2" - you'll need longer bolts (remember their metric) & don't worry about the larger pulley. Pull the inserts out of the back of the concave or better still, change it to a Loewen one - they make a lot of differance in all crops.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Put simply, The cts has the agressive threshing but not the cleaning and elevator capacity. Since rice harvesting is usually a slow process compared to corn, you need more seperator than you do elevator capacity, etc.

The 9000 has that capacity but not the seperator ability (walkers vs the cts' tines and elements). It just can't seperate the grain like the cts in rice.

It has been so long since we've been able to compare the cts vs 9000 so I won't promise the next 2 statements are 100% correct. In normal conditions, I think the cts has a rice advantage of about .5 to 1 mph. In corn, the 9000s have maybe .7 to 1.2 mph advantage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have a CTS 2 and up to 150 bushels corn it is fine but anything over that they recommend putting the corn package in it. It works fine for all of the crops we've harvested with it. We bought it new in 98 and are still running it. It has around 7000 hrs on it now.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aaah, Cuz we only run Sorghum, Wheat, Millet and Chickpeas (the last ones dont appear as much as the First two) and it does an Excellant job.

Husk, you were the one who told me that. Had me confused on why that was so.

thanks guys, I appreciate the added information you all gave.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG! ANOTHER PERSON WHO RUNS CTS II'S! Thats So d**n rare!

Ours is a 99' Model, I can't remember how many hours it has on the clock, 3000 and somthing I think,I'll take a look when I head up there on the 28th.

What other crops do you run through it?

(It would be nice to see some pics of the old girl aswell )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.