The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how similar the qsx is to the isx found in otr trucks? I understand that the qsx is going to be john deere's big engine, and I think other manufacturers are already using it, but what im concerned is the isx doesnt have a good reputation around here. Im not just talking the emmissions crap that all the trucks/engines are suffering from. My father-in-law worked in a shop and was very disgusted with the piston design the isx had. The piston skirt or lack there of were bad about wallering the cylenders out of round and were prone to ventilating the block. The guys in that shop were calling these engines comeaparts. So does the qsx have a better piston design/reputation? I was hopeing the new deere tractors with cummins engines would be a home run like the 8960s were, just hope cummins will let deere service the engines this time. Have heard the 8970s were bad when the ecms quit deere's hands were tied and had to go to Cummins.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The QSX was in the STX series Steigers from 2000 - 2006 roughly
From 375 hp -535 hp and are considered reliable ,lots of trouble in trucks prior to 2000

·
Registered
370 Posts
early pre 2000 engines had issues with too small of cam and bushings that would fail in under 3000 hours, now a bigger cam and electronic fuel injection common rail. the high mileage[450,000 km] trucks do seem to have counterbore issues that appear to be related to the piston design geometry of stroke vs bore that seems to chafe the one side of the block and then a coolant leak exhibits. this can sometimes be amended with arecut of the block and oversize liners fitted. i am not too sure how this is going to work out, as it does not address the geometry issue, and i feel it will re-appear later. with all of the emissions add ons i do not have a lot of faith in any of these engines. they do make power, but the lifespan seems to be an issue. if any engine could be used it should be the k series, but they are very pricey, they have a 50,000 hour life if treated properly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.