The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input on how to handle my employee wages. I have 2 full time 21 year old very hard working, intelligent young men working for my father and I on our farm and seed business. They have been with us for a little over a year and are each receiving $12/an hour. Are we paying enough? They will take home close to $30k each this year (after taxes) with the hours they have worked. I and they plan on making it a career out of working for us and was curious on how much of a bonus I should give them around Christmas, maybe put them on a salary next year, etc. Any input would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Borderline OK for starting out, but if they are good, I'd be seriously ramping that up. Depends what area you are from as well.

We are paying $15-25/hr depending on full-time / part-time / casual, experience, etc.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Was paying my grain cart driver $15/hour. Then I drove the cart a couple mornings until he got there (works night shift so sleeps a couple hours before showing up). Now he gets $20.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I worked for 3 years when I was away from the family farm for 12/hour. Had a house and a fuel card provided. I thought that was fair at the time considering my skills/clean driving record and a CDL. These days I wouldnt settle for anything less than 15/hour for year round employment. Bonuses were performance based.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
$15-$20 for my seasonal guys.. Im going to individualize raises based on performance. Take a look at your farms total expenses and what % your guys are taking of that, and how screwed you would be with out them. I will be giving 2 of my guys a raise, the other, I'm hoping retires..

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You are just a hair above minimum wage which is 10.20. You are going to have to get up to 20 asap or train new guys. Unless you have benefits. Local cattle farm lets employee buy 10 cows and he gets free feed and pasture for them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Looking for input on how to handle my employee wages. I have 2 full time 21 year old very hard working, intelligent young men working for my father and I on our farm and seed business. They have been with us for a little over a year and are each receiving $12/an hour. Are we paying enough? They will take home close to $30k each this year (after taxes) with the hours they have worked. I and they plan on making it a career out of working for us and was curious on how much of a bonus I should give them around Christmas, maybe put them on a salary next year, etc. Any input would be great. Thanks
Would you do the same work as they are doing for $12.00 .I'm not meaning any management work .That is pretty well hamburger serving wages.
You said you want to keep them.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
I pay $20 per hour for my harvest help. Also supply room and board. More than I made per hour as a mechanic for John Deere putting in more OT than any employee in all the branches of the dealership. Think they wonder why I had to quit. Best thing I have ever done :) I barely made that while I worked for CAT dealership. At least I had benefits at CAT, nothing at JD. Was cheaper to buy my own out of pocket. I can get worked up over wages.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't know where your at but to get 2 capable guys that will work for $12 an hour is as close to winning the lotto as most will get. Around here you wouldn't even get the biggest loser from town to work for that and we are not very close to oil or mines. Good luck keeping them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If they are good employees you won't keep them for $12.
Good employees are very hard to come by, and hard to retain. The last reason you want to lose one is because of money. Good guys will make your operation more profitable, bad ones will make you want to shoot yourself.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I pay $20 per hour for my harvest help. Also supply room and board. More than I made per hour as a mechanic for John Deere putting in more OT than any employee in all the branches of the dealership. Think they wonder why I had to quit. Best thing I have ever done :) I barely made that while I worked for CAT dealership. At least I had benefits at CAT, nothing at JD. Was cheaper to buy my own out of pocket. I can get worked up over wages.
Sounds like some of the places I've worked...

Walmart pays 14 to start here. Farm help is around 20 to start for someone with a little exp. doesn't tear things up etc. Good experienced guys are close to 30 plus benefits.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not every man is the same caliber, I'm tired of Mennonite employees coming and giving us a list of demands. They won't work Sunday's or holidays. But want top dollar. Great guys to work with, but if it rains, they want to be paid for a day's work even though we can't go, but refuse to work on a sunny Sunday.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.