The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What incentive is there to do a good job when you get paid by the acre? You could just burn through the crop as fast as you can to increase acres but some of the crop would just go right out the back of the combine. It really doesn't matter to us how we charge (per acre or per hour) because we will just do the job properly regardless. We have just heard that lots of farmers prefer an hourly rate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your incentive to be efficient is based on whether you want continued business. If you do a terrible job the farmer will never hire you again and guaranteed he will talk to his neighbors and you'll never get a job in that area again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In saskatchewan, with late model equipment and a professional crew the rates are 30-35 an acre plus fuel. That is trucked to the bin or elevator within 15 miles. That is combines, carts, trucks and operators for each, or 485 a sep. Hour plus fuel per machine with all the support equipment. The rates need to at least this amount to make any profit and even then on certain jobs it is a tight margin.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I charged $35 an acre (cereal crops)in the bin for my neighbor, their yard is beside mine and the fields were all within 3 miles. I supplied everything including fuel! If its just me and combine $25 and they supply fuel!

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
For my neighbor were I did everything and they didn't even come to the field I charged $20/acre with 9770sts. The section of land bordered my yard. It was for a lady who was widowed. That was about as cheap as I figured I could go and not loose money. My dad hires cutters and they charge $30 at the most. Not remembering the exact numbers. They even bring their own auger and tractor to put it in the bin. 4 class 7 Gleaners. If they were another color they may be able to charge more, ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.