The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the only way I can afford to get a newer combine and make payments on it is to custom cut for one of our neighbors as well. Would be custom cutting about 2000 acres a year, just in our area. Is there such thing as insurance like crop insurance for this to cover my costs of the combine? If there was a complete loss of crop there would be no need for me to combine therefore I wouldn't have any money to make the payment on the combine. If there is such a thing, about how much would that cost? Rough figures of $60,000 needed per year to break even at most.

-Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
906 Posts
Is there insurance for a snow removal company if it doesn't snow....

I think the answer to your questions is no.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I know with the hog buildings I could purchase loss of income insurance in the event the barn couldn't be used due to fire, natural disaster, etc.

Ran with it for a while until I got the first ones paid off then I dropped it. Maybe there is something similar.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know with the hog buildings I could purchase loss of income insurance in the event the barn couldn't be used due to fire, natural disaster, etc.

Ran with it for a while until I got the first ones paid off then I dropped it. Maybe there is something similar.
Something like that is exactly like what I'm looking for. I may have to call around and find out.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
There is custom harvester insurance, I forget who and where but I do know it's expensive. That is more or less set up for full out custom harvesters. If you are a farmer you may be able to add it to your farm liability insurance for that amount

I would get ahold of your insurance agent, if you come up null post it here and I will get someone to help ya out

·
Registered
377 Posts
About the only way I can afford to get a newer combine and make payments on it is to custom cut for one of our neighbors as well. Would be custom cutting about 2000 acres a year, just in our area. Is there such thing as insurance like crop insurance for this to cover my costs of the combine? If there was a complete loss of crop there would be no need for me to combine therefore I wouldn't have any money to make the payment on the combine. If there is such a thing, about how much would that cost? Rough figures of $60,000 needed per year to break even at most.

-Thanks
Matt
Dont know about insurance, but I have a feeling that clearing 60 grand on 2000 acres will be a bit of a stretch, even without any breakdowns at all. I did 2000 acres locally and my numbers come out quite a bit lower then that. However if your own land will pay the difference then that problem would be solved. Also, this was my first year custom cutting and the bank wanted a guarantee that I had a certain amount of acres to harvest before I could buy the combine. Just another thing to think about

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont know about insurance, but I have a feeling that clearing 60 grand on 2000 acres will be a bit of a stretch, even without any breakdowns at all. I did 2000 acres locally and my numbers come out quite a bit lower then that. However if your own land will pay the difference then that problem would be solved. Also, this was my first year custom cutting and the bank wanted a guarantee that I had a certain amount of acres to harvest before I could buy the combine. Just another thing to think about
What were you charging per acre, Just doing the math I would need to charge about $30 an acre to break even which is all i need to do. I don't quite need $60,000 just using a round number for on here. Would be a class 8 machine with a 40ft draper and 8 row corn head is what Im looking at jumping into. The $30 an acre doesn't seem so bad but I can't include fuel at that price so I may be priced a little high, not sure.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
What were you charging per acre, Just doing the math I would need to charge about $30 an acre to break even which is all i need to do. I don't quite need $60,000 just using a round number for on here. Would be a class 8 machine with a 40ft draper and 8 row corn head is what Im looking at jumping into. The $30 an acre doesn't seem so bad but I can't include fuel at that price so I may be priced a little high, not sure.
30$ ?? You will be broke and someone will be laughing!

Hahaha! Them days are long gone.

Better up the rate to at least 40!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
30$ ?? You will be broke and someone will be laughing!

Hahaha! Them days are long gone.

Better up the rate to at least 40!
That is $30 with out fuel and for my dad and a good friend. Just breaking even here. Ill make money in other ways.

Also for an update on insurance, I checked with my insurance company and they do offer a loss of income, he is going to check and make sure that would cover a year like we had in 2012 when there was no crop to harvest but it does cover down time with break downs. He will look into rates and get back with me, so such a thing does exist for anyone else wondering.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 1 million dollar custom clause with my farm/ranch insurance . Fixing to add a breakdown insurance on certain equipment too . State Farm has taken good care of us for years .

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I have a 1 million dollar custom clause with my farm/ranch insurance . Fixing to add a breakdown insurance on certain equipment too . State Farm has taken good care of us for years .
Could you explain that a bit? Are you saying they guarantee $1 million in custom revenue? That's a hefly premium isn't it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Could you explain that a bit? Are you saying they guarantee $1 million in custom revenue? That's a hefly premium isn't it?
.........Sorry it is million liability for custom work .

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
It sounds to me like your medium term intentions are to increase your capital investment in your business to reduce your profitability. Are you sure you want to do this? Or is this a first stage to something with a greater potential that is reasonably achievable?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts