The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is people doing custom grain vac work near Medicine Hat, Alberta? Google gets me nothing. We had a interesting accident a few days ago and rolled a tandem grain truck full of canola. Apparently we are on the hook for cleanup so were hoping to find someone near Med Hat that would be willing to do it for a fee. We do have our own grain vac but we live a fair ways away and are still busy trying to finish combining. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Glad you're safe. Saw the wreck not too long after it happened. Hard to believe you walked away from it.

I haven't heard of any custom guys in the area but will ask a guy I know who lives near the wreck if he knows of anyone who has one nearby.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it was quite a ride and i'm still pretty amazed i came out of it with nothing but a few small cuts. Front tire blew out and i had no chance of keeping it on the road. The steep ditch didnt help the situation at all.

There are a few possibilities of renting or borrowing one close by, but with harvest still not quite done it would have been nice to just have it done by someone else. I think we might just drag ours down there and do it after we finish combining.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Flamans rents vacs if your interested. I can send my brothers cell number if yo need

Glad your ok

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya it was on the 41 about 25km north of Medicine Hat. We do have a grain vac and we're really only about 60 miles away but that ends up being over a 3 hour drive each way in the tractor plus the time to clean up the mess. Not that big a deal most times of the year, but while we're trying to finish up harvest we don't have the time to spare.

At this point I think we're gonna just wait till harvest is finished and deal with it then. That's the easiest thing to do. It's only about 450 bushels so it's a decent amount but if we lose some it won't be e end of the world.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Glad your ok as that's the main thing but it would be rather amusing if the pile was still there yet ( obvious hutt interest ) and throw in a good amount of some identity confetti and if you luck out they might haul it home first and dump it into a 50000 bushel bin for example .... you might end up with more canola then you started with after they haul the bin out to the elevator a few months from now and you get the call that your canola was hauled in by someone else, come get your cheque ! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was actually coming from the other direction (heading south) and went into the ditch about 200yds north of where the mess is. Not much to tell, really. The front drivers side tire blew out and i couldnt keep it on the road. Crossed the other lane and into the ditch. Not exactly sure after that but it definitely rolled at least once.

Don't mind me asking and if your able to tell... What the heck happened, looks fairly innocent spot...

Good job on cleaning all the other stuff up:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Wow,,,, pictures make sense now, a guy can get some serious speed coming down that hill as well, happy no one was coming the other way and that your able to talk about it... Some serious bent up steel their...

I talked with a farmer ten miles away, with a grain vac, but there cattle are comming home this week from grazing leases, so he's busy..... But will keep looking

Glad your ok

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I was picturing a truck that had the right front wheel drop over the shoulder and get sucked into the ditch and flop at low speed ... the pictures I see posted and the tire blow out, that's everyone's worst night mare become reality. One would "think" they would allow a little leeway in the clean up as its not obstructing traffic and also isn't like a round bale sitting there in the ditch to potentially become a dangerous hazard but will have to get cleaned up regardless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.