The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. I have a 35 ft 8200 Flex header. I broke the driven shaft on the reel Saturday. Dealer doesn't have the part (I understand that). Monday they do an Agco warehouse search. To quote my dealer, "the part is no where on earth." My dealer has contacted the reel manufacturer who has said the manufacturing date will be Nov. 7th. With luck I will have the part by the 10-11th. My question to Agco, is this acceptable? Too not have a part, anywhere on earth, for a late model header? Beyond me. I get to now watch all the red and green combines finish soybean harvest as I wait for a simple shaft to be made. Inexcusable Agco. I hope someone within company headquarters reads this and can provide explanation as to how this is acceptable customer service. In the meantime, I will be busy perfecting my pumpkin carving skills, watching football, deer hunting, and wishing Gleaner was as serious about agriculture as the farmers that buy their equipment.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Time to get creative, there is no such thing "not availible" what shaft are you looking for? Google the part number. Is it difficult to replace? Have you called other dealers? Someone will be willing to help you out. Can a machine shop make one? Can it be welded back together? You have a thousand options. No point in whining, that won't get your crop off.

Keep this mind the next time your in the market for equipment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took it to one of the best machine shops in the country. Does most of the sheet metal work for the major pullers in the Midwest. Afraid of it. It's more than just a shaft, There's a plate that bolts to the reel, and plate that fits in the reel tube, etc. involves cutting out old shaft, welding in new, hoping its true, etc. Appreciate the suggestions, but is having parts custom made what it take to own a nearly new Gleaner combine? I can understand a part from an E or something, but this is late model. Robbing from other dealers, good luck. This part is only used in the 35 ft header. Again, great planning by Gleaner. I appreciate fancy new cabs and paint schemes and decals as much as the next guy, I do; but how about having some parts available during harvest that don't take 2-3 weeks to get made. Inexcusable.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's even more inexcusable to not be combining when all you have to do is get a shaft made to be able to go. Forget the dealer. Bring it to a real machine shop like the ones in western Canada they can do anything. You think an oil rig would shut down here because they couldn't find a part? .. **** no... And neither would any farmer I know.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
cant the dealer find a header not being used and let ya take the shaft?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
X2.

Any good machine shop I know doesn't do tin work. Unless it's making a chain guard or the like. Take your part and start knocking doors. Someone will make it. And probably within a day. There are a lot of parts I can have custom made and to better specs than OEM for less $.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I agree that I would find a machine shop to make the shaft, have done it before. Usually lots cheaper and faster than ordering OEM.

I also agree that it sucks AGCO doesn't have the part in inventory somewhere. That is not acceptable IMO.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Agco has no tech support after 5pm dealer had rotor gearbox in stock our serial number etc etc still couldnt let us take in because it could be wrong later that night we lookup some other models R75, R76 S77 etc all take same gearbox as R72 only S88 is differnet the only varient is discontinued same drive belt fits all models too yet with serial number they still manage to give us the wrong belt agco parts people, tech support, higher ups etc need to get serious they have a good product but there support is horrible i could phone my john deere dealer at 3 am and get a rotor gearbox and im sure it would be in stock too

·
Registered
129 Posts
That sounds like the shaft I broke on my 800 series head. Its on the left hand end has a flat plate with bolt holes. Shaft slides up inside the reel tube and has a cone on it the keep it centered up in the tube. I fixed mine myself. Wasn't any problem at all. Just ground down the broke shaft to a v then used welding magnets to keep it aligned straight and started welding a little at a time on each side. Been running it for two seasons now with no problem. If you watch it real close you can see the arm wobble just a little but doesn't cause a problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I feel your pain on how the AGCO parts network operates. We're in the Hastings, NE area and Fairbanks International was our Agco dealer. Titan bought them out last year and somewhere them and Agco got in a squabble and long story short we no longer have an Agco dealer and Titan/Fairbanks went back to being just a Case IH dealer. Unfortunately I think it was Agco that pulled the plug and told Titan where to stick it. Anyway, Butler has been trying to move into the area for couple years now (whole other cluster of a story) so in the meantime this year they brought a semi van trailer into Hastings for Harvest time to keep the area Gleaner guys going. They claimed they'd have any Gleaner part you could ever want on hand available in the trailer. Even Kevin Been himself backed up this bold statement to us at Husker Harvest Days. And every time we stopped in for parts this harvest guess what...not one time did they have what we needed. Even simple and common universal parts. Lucked out one time and Titan/Fairbanks still had some leftover Gleaner parts so we cleaned them out. But another time turned into 400 miles of driving to get what we needed. But Butler said they could have what we needed in tomorrow or the next day...well we need it now assholes. And unfortunately these weren't parts that any local machine shop could just whip up in a jiff.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Even Kevin Been himself backed up this bold statement to us at Husker Harvest Days. And every time we stopped in for parts this harvest guess what...not one time did they have what we needed. Even simple and common universal parts. But another time turned into 400 miles of driving to get what we needed. But Butler said they could have what we needed in tomorrow or the next day...well we need it now assholes.
This has become the norm out where im at as well, heard the same thing you stated about what Keven Bien said about harvest support @ HHD. I dont live anywhere near that part of the state but have the same issue out here in western Ne. It seems my usual dealer never keeps anything in stock anymore even though 5 years ago I had never even heard of Lang let alone drive the extra distance because my normal dealer always had everything I needed in stock. Now 5 years later I make the trip to the dealer just to be told we dont have it but can have it tomorrow or worse its in a warehouse in Ohio somewhere and costs out the nose to get it here with any kind of speediness. I then have them do a dealer network search and Lang diesel ALWAYS has what I need. Im about just to use Lang as my full time dealer even though they are over 100 miles away and my usual one is only 30. We always get the right part with no waiting/paying for shipping. This past wheat harvest we spent thousands of dollars in freight to get parts here they simply will not keep in stock. I still have yet to get a POD which would alleviate alot of these parts problems, every time I ask about it I dont really get a clear answer. My patience is beginning to wear thin.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I'm sorry but in the time the OP has spent typing his whine Lecuyer's in Nipawin would have built him a new shaft from scratch. If they had the old one to repair it would have taken them less time. They're good but they are by no means unique in western Canada. I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be someone closer to the OP but if so there's airplanes flying from Saskatoon multiple times per day.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.