The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seem to have lots of foxtail barley in the cereals this year. running honeybee headers with the reels spinning at maximum speed to keep the cutter bar clean, even with slow ground speed the bar plugs often. Has anyone come across/envisioned a better cutting system for the straight cut header? Could a discbine work instead of a sickle bar for a header? perhaps a dual knife?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Have a 36ft dual knife Honey Bee and find in grassy or weedy patches it likes to plug if going to fast. If you look at when its plugged is it pulling the fox tail out of the ground? I think there is a way to speed up the sickle listed in the book. The other thought would be how worn are your guards and sections?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You have shared very little information ,how old are your sections and guards ,foxtail is tough.
You should be able to set your knife drive relief valve to open near 3000 psi .
You can run up to 640 rpm .
Yes a Dbl drive can be added ,preferably not in the middle of harvest .

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
Get a Macdon dual knife
Well...
Seems given enough foxtail barley, and do I have an example field for you, any knife system is likely going to give trouble.
One hopes it's sunny, hot, windy and about 10% humidity the day I hit that field.
Any bets on the stars aligning? ;)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
One hopes it's sunny, hot, windy and about 10% humidity the day I hit that field.
Any bets on the stars aligning? ;)
None whatsoever.;)

Just pick up and go over the patch, spray it with 2 liters+, then burn it!

·
Registered
792 Posts
New guards and new sections solve most cutting problems. You don't want to set the relief pressure too high or all you will do is start breaking the bar.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Header is not pulling foxtail out of the ground, builds up to point where the foxtail plugs those gaps between bar and the guard.
Only a problem in the low spots but those are everywhere in the fields this year.
Running 3 headers, 2 with dual knife drive, dual drive will have more ground speed compared to single drive which the operator is keeping a close eye on as it will plug in an instant.
The guards & knives are all schumacher, guards are in ok condition but knives are getting old.
Can't remember what speed and pressure it is set at, will take a look at it asap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts