The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has any experience with cutting grass seed specifically Perennial RyeGrass for seed production with either a John Deere Disc head with the 35-45K adaptor on it. or with a New Holland Grass seed special header on a Self Propelled????

Any Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We run a macdon with 25' double knife drive and works good in grass but the problem is it takes too long for dry down compared to the disc heads. I have also been hearing you get between 100-300 LBS more in the grain tank after cutting with a disc head. I think the theory behing the disc head is a much better idea because of the smaller windrow and a more even swath to enter the combine.

but... this is all what i have heard and not what i have seen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I swathed my perennial rye grass with a regular discbine with the conditioner rolls open and tension backed off. I was in desperation as swathes would not cut the lodged stuff without making a mess. I'm sure a dedicated disc swather would do better but I was very happy with the results. We swathed at night when the dew was extremely heavy and felt we had less loss than trying to cut the lodged stuff with a swather. I bought a 18' pull type and cut at 7-9mph. We were able to cut a quarter a night. Threshing was so nice, the swaths were non directional and could be picked up either way. There were no bunches, slugs, etc... Very smooth sailing. If we would have lost any swathing we made up for it not running the seed out the back in slugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.