The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question but has or does anyone cut hay with a swather, 25 or 30 feet then immediately ted it out to dry down? Does it work? Or does it need to be conditioned still?

Thinking of alfalfa/grass hay. Might be a bit tough on the cutter bar. Might try do a turn around a field like that next year just for my own curiosity. Unless I'm for sure wasting my time....

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
We used to cut with a 25’ swather. We would pull out as far as we could in heavy crop. It would take twice as long to dry as when we got a haybine for the front of it. Any rain on it and it would sit a long time before it would dry or cure

·
Registered
472 Posts
this feels like deja vu all over again.... was a discussion about this in the summer but I cant find it now.

we have done it on drier years and works fine without tedding. lots of it done on poorer stands in this area. but all about the area you are in I am guessing. works fine if humidity is low / lots of grass. cant imagine being very good if its a bumper crop of alfalfa. I have only used the draper on dry years when haybine barely makes a windrow - half the trips w the cutter, no raking windrow heavy enough for baler to actually pick up......

some honey bee heads were made with new Holland cutter bars... that would be my choice - same guards as a haybine. also when working in the dirt its important to oil the knife every day. I found it cut down on knife stalls / knife head breaking a lot. honey bee makes a kit to extend draper and make opening a little smaller so windrow isn't wider than the baler......

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldnt try it without tedding it out. No chance it would dry down here. I can barely seem to get hay up without a rain already. Just didnt know if the tedder would break the stems enough to make it work. Thought a guy might be able to rig it to pull a tedder behind a sp swather and do it all in one pass.

·
Registered
380 Posts
We wore out a swather or 2 cutting hay before finally getting a haybine. We had a crimper you mounted on the versatile swather. It actually did a good job. Otherwise a 20+ foot swath took a while to dry. If you could ted it out I can’t see it being a problem because it would be no different than the old days when they knocked it down with horse mowers and buck raked it into shocks. My only qualm with using a swather is that it turns a swather into a piece of crap fast.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There’s an old post on here where the guy was using a 35’ Macdon, then run an agshield recon with tedder to spread back then rake and bale. Claimed it was the only way to make hay in his country. Recon is probably cheaper to own/run than haybine, but hay ground gets hard on swathers so likely close to a wash.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There’s an old post on here where the guy was using a 35’ Macdon, then run an agshield recon with tedder to spread back then rake and bale. Claimed it was the only way to make hay in his country. Recon is probably cheaper to own/run than haybine, but hay ground gets hard on swathers so likely close to a wash.
Good way to wreck your swather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts