The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to another seed farmer today who runs a 2188 combine in our neck of the woods. When I told him we just bought one, one of the tips he said to do right away was to cut out the front 5 rows on the bottom sieve. He claimed that on heavy barley (120bu + per acre) there is not enough wind to move the chaff and it plugs up between the two sieves. The resulting capacity is much more satisfactory. Has anyone heard of this/done this? He is a well respected farmer, so I am not thinking he is stringing me a line or anything like that. I just never heard of this. Comments?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did that on our 1470 machine. It had been updated to the cross flow fan but at times especially going down hill it would load up the sieves sometimes to the point that it would plug the fan with seed. Harvest Services makes a kit for doing that mod on the older 1400 series machines. And yes it did help making that change.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you harvest for crops, Todd? Do they include small grains also? I had the same question as Scandinavian, wondering about how clean the sample was.
I guess my reluctance is to cut the seive only to find out I was not happy with the results- like burning the bridge after you cross it...once you've cut it, there's no going back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Perhaps you could cut it out with the frame, and make a sustitude frame to put in. You could make it so you bolt the 2 parts together. If you then decide to put the fins back in you make a link between the 2 parts for the adjustment...
Or the lazy way. Cut the fins out in a way so you are able to put them back in and weld it up
;-)
With the first option you are able to change between different crops.. I think of canola..

·
Registered
73 Posts
We put the harvest service kit in our 2188 and this includes a piece of ripple tin that you put on the chaffer so the grain doesn't fall onto the cut out part of the sieve. The idea is to keep the sieve from blocking the air off when it moves forward. I don't think it would work very well to just cut out the front of the sieve and not block off the chaffer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just did one of my 2388's everyone I talked to said the kit from harvest services makes a big differance, cleaner sample more cleaning capacity. I will find out in a month when we get started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts