The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am going to buy a new tractor for heavy draft work like pulling an air seeder and heavy tillage. I have a 2012 John Deere 6430 Premium for a chore tractor with an IVT and absolutely love it and said I would never buy another tractor without a CVT.

I am looking at a 2015 Magnum 310 or a John Deere 8310R. Leaning towards the Magnum even though I am kind of a John Deere guy at heart.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I demoed a Challenger, awesome CVT, I think it is a cast off from a Fendt. But the rest of the tractor is not up to a Magnum standard. I am a Deere guy and a new 310R is not as quiet as a older 2006 Magnum. Check NTTL if you think I am BSing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought a 340 in 2011 with power shift. This past spring during planting season I lost all reverse clutch packs at 1900 hrs. and one month out of warranty.

Last January I bought a 8335r with IVT at dealer auction since I needed another low houred tractor. 7250, 8950, and mx 270 all at 10,000 hrs.

We liked the IVT so much, I traded the power shift for a 340 CVT (since Case covered the transmission overhaul due to a manufacturing defect).

The IVT has a faster forward to reverse cycle time, and the CVT is a little smoother due to more ranges in the transmission. I like both the same so far. I have put on about 900 hrs. on the IVT and 300 hours on the CVT.

The 340 CVT has way more low rpm torque over the 340 power shift (if you got to 1400 rpm under hard load it would fall on its face. I don't know if this is a function of the CVT or if the tier 4B power shifts also have more torque rise.
I plan on running both tractors for 5,000+ hrs. unless one or both start giving problems. I am also tracking repair costs for both. We will be putting on 800-1,000 hrs./year on both tractors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.