The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a vibration problem with their conventional NH combines when harvesting canola? In other crops it seems fine. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
There is buildup on rasp bars, might have to turn cylinder by hand slowly and let dust fall off

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
Does anyone have a vibration problem with their conventional NH combines when harvesting canola? In other crops it seems fine. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Have you harvested canola and went back to a different crop and it was fine?
Only under load?
Green Straw?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Does it vibrate cylinder speed or shake more (rock back and forth at shoe speed)? If it's vibrating fast check your chopper, it'll bust out the backend of your machine quickly!
Might want to check your drive belts and sheaves to your cylinder. Vibration could be caused from plugging the cylinder and burning the belt a bit causing a narrow section or worn bearings in the driven variable drive sheave. One of our machines actually broke the support bracket loose for the driven sheave. I've never experienced buildup on the inside of the rasp bars but I often just spin the machine over a bit when I stop it anyway to drop buildup off. At the end of the shift I always like to start the unit a few times to clean it out, makes it nicer to service and check over, I don't like dealing with residue when I work on stuff plus I worry about it getting moist, causing rust and imbalances.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Is it on the feeder , I'm guessing the canola swaths are a bit bigger than cereal swaths , check the tension on feeder chain , and , or the bearings on feeder chain rollers ,?also check none of the plastic wear strips in there haven't worn through and turned back , . Start at the front ,,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has to do with the cylinder. The vibrations match up with cylinder rpm. It has something to do specifically with the canola material because you can run it empty and it will not hum. It will run an any other crop and not do it. I thought maybe the beater behind the cylinder was out of adjustment and material was travelling around it but it was adjusted to the manual's specs. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Your separator should be set on low speed and separator grate opened, your shoe drive should also be set on slow. Is it a hum or vibration? Your cylinder should also be run reasonably slow and your concave open to around one inch. Don't have a rock in your stone trap that's hitting the rub bars by any chance? I guess that would be more of a buzzing sensation.

·
Registered
459 Posts
So , if you run it empty wide open no problem?,as off road says is yor belt in the slow speed , just a query , do you have blowers ? If so check the nylon couplers between motor and fan drive , it's weiired how vibrations can travel , have a look at the bearings on top of the returns augers , we had one go and couldn't find it until under load ,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts