The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
Looking for some opinions on CXs. Have a relative that has a 03 CX840 and an 08 8010 and he sounds more impressed with the CX than the Case. CXs seem to be pretty reasonably priced too. Are they an undervalued high capacity combine or are there some issues with them?

I'd like to know some thoughts both good or bad. And comparisons to a TR98 or CR970 would be great (thats what we run now).

Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
We used to run two cx 860's then 880's. They are well built and pretty reliable machines. The problem with them is that the 880 is not faster than the 860 because the cleaning shoe is the limiting factor. They will easly thrash more grain than your 970 but they will not be able to save it. Other than at night we were never able to run the combines to power and the belt drives system is not good enough for wads in canola. (they plug too easy) I think the capacity of an 880 is very similar to the 970 and we did demo both at the same time. The cx will travel the same speed at 70% power as the cr at 100% but you can't push it any harder than that or you'll be seeding. Better feeder house and stone trap on the cx by far but you will be dissapointed in canola with the cx's capacity. Oh yeah and they crack grain way more than you'll be used to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
........CX 880 appears to be a decent machine.We have 800 hrs on a 05.So far the total repair bill has been about $300,which the straw chopper belt was my fault.Chopping green Oats sitting on wet ground.I agree with the other poster regarding 860 to 880,not sure the extra money well do too much more on the field.But the 40 or 50 hp was a bonus this year.Wet ground conditions and chopping all the straw.the Nolland does have a decent chopper which in tough straw does require the extra power.Not much use talking about the cab as well a the other features which are similar to the CR.I suppose if you are to bale the straw the CX should leave the straw in less broken condition.The Cx is definitely a better machine than the TX which we had.As far as Conventional combines go,the CX well keep up to the competitors no problem.The biggest dislike is changing engine oil.The filters are on the front of engine,requiring removing panel in the hopper to access the filters.To address the reliability concern,after 1500 hours we well have the answer.We would purchase another CX !

·
Registered
23 Posts
.......oh I forgot to mention we have never plugged the cylinder in any crop,yes big wads of Canola it is possible.Can't comment on cracking in comparison to other machines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts