The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comment. I use a Nikon D2X, D300 and D200 generally with a 12-24mm, 17-55mm or 70-200mm lens attached.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey All,

I must admit I spent some time looking at a number of your galleries. Some really great stuff in a number of them.

I've always thought there are far too few photographers today out there documenting agriculture. Agriculture has a story to tell and good photography is a big step forward. Paul Mobley's American Farmer is the only effort I know of in recent history. In my opinion while a beautifully done book fully deserving of the awards it won it missed the mark. To me agriculture from a photographic perspective is the linkage of man (people), machine (can be a horse) and place (environment, crops/animals produced) and to an extent even time (era). The challenge in my mind is to link various of those elements in artistic and aesthetically pleasing ways that tell a story. I haven't seen a photographer yet who puts his/her mind to the whole "picture" in a body of work. Maybe when I retire... Anyway many of your pictures approach what I've in mind... But enough of the esoteric stuff I think about.

The Palouse is beautiful country and every time I go through central Washington on my way to family in north central Oregon I want to spend more time there. Great pics! It looks as though on some images you dabble a bit in HDR. Keep it up I think it a powerful tool if used well.

-Ed-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Easyed I totally agree with your comments about telling a story about agriculture. With time and experience I aspire to be able to do just that. Though I make my living in technology rather than agriculture I have always had an affinity for farms and farm life. I am certainly open to suggestions on what I can do with my photography to help tell the story. I am fascinated by equipment but the personal stories appeal to me as well. As an open question to all that care to toss in their 2 cents, what sort of images capture the personal stories and life on the farm the best?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

·
Registered
684 Posts
Man, I see those pics from Dayton and just drool. We farm down in the Horse Heaven region of central Washington and a sub 12" rainfall (more like sub 8" this year) doesn't cut it anymore. I see that straw and only wish we had a stand like that. The last time we or any neighbor cut anything above 50bu was 1991. Gotta love the Bickleton area!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing. I see some of the hills they are on I wonder how in the world they can cut on them going up or down. Wow!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gotta admit, I'm kinda proud to look over those pictures. The recent years of 1000 series and 2000 series CIH auger heads have come out of our plant in Saskatoon. Nice to see them at work.

Oh and phenomenal pictures, wish I could save a few to use as my background and screen savers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like it's just a dealership sticker, if you look at the hood of the older 9380 (I think it is? the one with tripples) there is a sticker for Jones Truck & Impliment...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:Oh and phenomenal pictures, wish I could save a few to use as my background and screen savers.

I understand the desire but I am trying to get myself established as a professional photographer specializing in agriculture and there are real costs associated with capturing the images and hosting them on the website. I have set the price for the smallest personal use download to be fairly low ($5) and that is big enough to use for screen backgrounds and screen savers. I am not saying this to try and promote sales, just to let everyone know why I don't allow free downloads and that it is an option purchase downloads if anyone is interested.

Thanks again to everyone for looking and for all the comments.

Rick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts