The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got a 97 case 7240 magnum. I was out seeding and tractor was running great pulling well then out of no where it just dies. No warning lights or anything.
can someone help me?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Not familiar with the magnum but it sounds like a fuel shut off solenoid.
It may run again when it cools down

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had several issues with a 7140. First thing to check is the terminal connections under the cab floor - they can be corroded. Another needle in the haystack can be something as simple as a short in the cab blower - turn all the accessories off and see if it starts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dumb question, but have you checked the fuel tank for fuel? Maybe the gauge don’t work!
A couple of years ago a new JD tractor broke down and the mechanic with his laptop couldn't figure out what was wrong. The dealership took it in and proceeded to fit about 10k worth of parts trying to get it to fire up before they eventually looked into the diesel tank and discovered it was empty despite the fuel gauge saying it was half full. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and just shows todays mechanics aren't mechanics at all just laptop techs and when the laptop can't diagnose the problem their lost. It wasn't my tractor. We're all Agco stuff here, mostly.

·
Registered
583 Posts
A couple of years ago a new JD tractor broke down and the mechanic with his laptop couldn't figure out what was wrong. The dealership took it in and proceeded to fit about 10k worth of parts trying to get it to fire up before they eventually looked into the diesel tank and discovered it was empty despite the fuel gauge saying it was half full. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and just shows todays mechanics aren't mechanics at all just laptop techs and when the laptop can't diagnose the problem their lost. It wasn't my tractor. We're all Agco stuff here, mostly.
Actually it shows that not all mechanics are good, some people just can’t figure out problems, some of the guys are great at twisting wrenches if they are told what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So I’ve got a 97 case 7240 magnum. I was out seeding and tractor was running great pulling well then out of no where it just dies. No warning lights or anything.
can someone help me?
We have had that happen on several 8.3 Cummins engines. Most times it was the fuel shut off solenoid. They can be zip tied open and the engine will keep running until you enter run out of fuel, or cut the zip tie. If the shut off works when you apply 12 volts to it you could have a charging problem they need a constant voltage to stay open. Can't recall right now I think it 8 or 9 volts. So if your alternator goes bad, and your batteries get weak, it will die on you. The solenoid should be right on the back of the pump, if I remember correctly, it's been a few years since we have had a magnum of that vintage.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I suspect the main power relay in the cab is going bad. It's in the fuse panel on right hand side of cab. It's the big round item at the bottom with heavy red wire to it then going to fuses and relays. When mine gave me trouble it was just like shutting the tractor off. The dash would show ACC instead of O rpm when key is first turned on. Give the power relay a tap and it usually will start. Contacts inside are waring out. Sometimes after starting, if I turn on accessories the power demand causes the lose of contact and tractor would stop. Time to replace relay.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
That power connector under the cab floor is a known issue on those units. It's on the right hand side in front of the console. I've changed both of ours several times over the years when you have goofy electrical issues. It's like a bad ground on trailer lights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts