The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had a dealer tell they had three of the part I needed on hand, but they couldn’t sell it to me because they had sold two this year for locals “specifically one this month”. I’m only 2 hours away. Is this common?

· Registered
333 Posts
It is common when another dealer asks for a transfer, it is uncommon when the customer calls and wants to buy the part themselves. Ask your dealer for a list of dealers that currently have that part and call them, someone will give it up. What’s you part number?

· Registered
61 Posts
We had a radiator go on a jd9660 6or 7 years ago. Closest one was 12 hours away. My brother in law drove over night to be there for 8 am door opening and mentioned to parts man that it was the only one in western Canada. If we hadn't already paid for it he wasn't going to let us take it. Closest I've been to a part not being sold to me for being out of the service area. That sounds like probabaly one of the worst parts dealers. A sales a sale unless they can't source them right now.

Our 4940 sprayer had an aluminium boom valve crack and I needed to prove they were toast to get one since they were short supply

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s a GH-481A main fan shaft for fan, motor and all on a flexicoil 2320 aircart. Splines stripped out where the motor slides in. We found one 7 hours away this morning and pioneer in rexburg gladly sold it to me. My local dealer told me where they were. New ones are Available just would be 3 days out of Saskatoon.

· Registered
256 Posts
Slide hammer with a very small hook. Heat to release locktight expand shaft a fraction. A good bearing place can supply a new spline usually long enough to make two if you can remember where you put it. Lack of grease is the main problem. Done a couple for neighbours ours went 20 years without an issue.

· Registered
16 Posts
We had an injector in our 9420 go this spring. Dealer didn’t have one in the dealer network. Called other outfits and they didn’t have one either. Went right to JD and they didn’t have one in North America. The only option was to pull one out of the 9860 or drive to edmonton and buy one from a questionable reman outfit.
We ended up pulling from the 9860 after determining the engine codes matched up.
The question remains. Did those dealers actually not have the injector in stock or were they hoarding them for the in house $175/hr shop repairs.

· Registered
330 Posts
In Canada, dealers have to stock parts for products for 10 years after production stops. This is a provincial law in AB, SK, and I think MB. US does not have these types of laws in place I think. e.g. maybe Canadian dealers have the parts if it fits the time frame...

· Registered
5,977 Posts
We had an injector in our 9420 go this spring. Dealer didn’t have one in the dealer network. Called other outfits and they didn’t have one either. Went right to JD and they didn’t have one in North America. The only option was to pull one out of the 9860 or drive to edmonton and buy one from a questionable reman outfit.
We ended up pulling from the 9860 after determining the engine codes matched up.
The question remains. Did those dealers actually not have the injector in stock or were they hoarding them for the in house $175/hr shop repairs.
Have to wonder. Usually John Deere is really good about this stuff. I can still get injectors for a 50 year old John Deere tractor, which I did this summer.

Anyway, these are basically Detroit S60 engines. Wonder if there's a Detroit injector that would fit them.

· Registered
330 Posts
Publications Centre

Provisions respecting emergency repair service and parts 33(1) Where, within ten years of the date of its sale, as a new implement an implement breaks down during the season of use and cannot be operated to perform, with reasonable efficiency, the intended functions set out in the contract of purchase, the dealer and the distributor shall provide to the purchaser emergency parts service for the implement. (2) Where parts are required for emergency repairs, the purchaser shall, when ordering the parts, notify the dealer that the parts are required for emergency repairs and the dealer shall identify the order as an emergency order and indicate thereon the date and time the order was placed and provide the purchaser with a copy of the order. (3) Where the purchaser has, under subsection (2), notified the dealer that parts are required for emergency repairs, the dealer shall notify the distributor to that effect.

(4) If a purchaser orders parts for emergency repairs, the dealer and the distributor shall ensure that those parts are available at the dealer’s place of business within 72 hours after the time the order was made, not including holidays, unless delivery of the parts cannot be made within that period because of strikes or other conditions beyond the control of the dealer and the distributor. (6) Any extra costs in excess of the current list price charged to a purchaser for obtaining parts shall be shown separately on the invoice or bill to the purchaser and no such extra cost shall be included as part of the price of the parts.

(7) Where a dealer or distributor from whom a purchaser orders parts fails to obtain those parts within the time specified in subsection (4), the dealer and distributor are jointly and severally liable, except where delivery of the parts cannot be made because of conditions beyond the control of the dealer and the distributor, to pay to the purchaser an amount equal to one-half of the normal rental rate applicable for the implement from the date of the expiry of the time limit for delivery to the date on which those parts are made available to the purchaser at the dealer’s place of business. (8) The payment under subsection (7) shall be made only for the time during which the implement would normally have been used.

(9) In lieu of making payments as set out in subsections (7) and (8), the dealer and distributor may: (a) supply the purchaser with another implement that is suitable and capable of functioning properly; and (b) if the dealer and distributor supply the purchaser with another implement pursuant to clause (a), charge the purchaser rental for that implement, to a maximum of one-half of the normal rental rate for that implement. (9.1) The dealer and distributor are jointly responsible for supplying the replacement equipment and are to bear equally the cost imposed on them pursuant to subsection (9) of supplying the replacement equipment. (9.2) Replacement equipment may be supplied: (a) by the dealer or distributor; or (b) if the dealer or distributor chooses not to supply the replacement equipment, by another supplier at the expense of the dealer and distributor.

(9.3) In subsections (9.1) and (9.2), “replacement equipment” means an implement supplied pursuant to subsection (9). (10) The normal rental rates mentioned in this section shall be those established by the board.

· Registered
665 Posts
Publications Centre

Provisions respecting emergency repair service and parts 33(1) Where, within ten years of the date of its sale, as a new implement an implement breaks down during the season of use and cannot be operated to perform, with reasonable efficiency, the intended functions set out in the contract of purchase, the dealer and the distributor shall provide to the purchaser emergency parts service for the implement. (2) Where parts are required for emergency repairs, the purchaser shall, when ordering the parts, notify the dealer that the parts are required for emergency repairs and the dealer shall identify the order as an emergency order and indicate thereon the date and time the order was placed and provide the purchaser with a copy of the order. (3) Where the purchaser has, under subsection (2), notified the dealer that parts are required for emergency repairs, the dealer shall notify the distributor to that effect.

(4) If a purchaser orders parts for emergency repairs, the dealer and the distributor shall ensure that those parts are available at the dealer’s place of business within 72 hours after the time the order was made, not including holidays, unless delivery of the parts cannot be made within that period because of strikes or other conditions beyond the control of the dealer and the distributor. (6) Any extra costs in excess of the current list price charged to a purchaser for obtaining parts shall be shown separately on the invoice or bill to the purchaser and no such extra cost shall be included as part of the price of the parts.

(7) Where a dealer or distributor from whom a purchaser orders parts fails to obtain those parts within the time specified in subsection (4), the dealer and distributor are jointly and severally liable, except where delivery of the parts cannot be made because of conditions beyond the control of the dealer and the distributor, to pay to the purchaser an amount equal to one-half of the normal rental rate applicable for the implement from the date of the expiry of the time limit for delivery to the date on which those parts are made available to the purchaser at the dealer’s place of business. (8) The payment under subsection (7) shall be made only for the time during which the implement would normally have been used.

(9) In lieu of making payments as set out in subsections (7) and (8), the dealer and distributor may: (a) supply the purchaser with another implement that is suitable and capable of functioning properly; and (b) if the dealer and distributor supply the purchaser with another implement pursuant to clause (a), charge the purchaser rental for that implement, to a maximum of one-half of the normal rental rate for that implement. (9.1) The dealer and distributor are jointly responsible for supplying the replacement equipment and are to bear equally the cost imposed on them pursuant to subsection (9) of supplying the replacement equipment. (9.2) Replacement equipment may be supplied: (a) by the dealer or distributor; or (b) if the dealer or distributor chooses not to supply the replacement equipment, by another supplier at the expense of the dealer and distributor.

(9.3) In subsections (9.1) and (9.2), “replacement equipment” means an implement supplied pursuant to subsection (9). (10) The normal rental rates mentioned in this section shall be those established by the board.
I'm not sure that slapping that on the dealers desk would help the relationship much

· Registered
5,977 Posts
Presumably manufacturers would need to stand behind their dealers' ability to support and maintain their products. I don't see this as any different than how manufacturers cover dealers doing warranty work. The difference is that parts within the 10 years are still paid for by customers, so it's not like we're asking manufacturers to warrant for free for 10 years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts