The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the problem.
We are farming at goulburn in the southern tablelands of NSW. Finished harvest just before christmas capping off what was a pretty good year.
We are growing dual purpose wheat, canola and barley as well as some lupins. Crops are sown in Feb (Canola), March (Canola, Grazing wheat), April (non grazing wheat, lupins). Harvest usually kicks off early December.
This was our first year having a real crack at cropping - expanded from 350 acres to 1400.
As crops are for grazing as well as harvest, sowing is heavy - 80kg wheat on narrow spacings for canopy weed control late in the season after pre's have run their race.
With early sowing set to start in SIX weeks, i have to figure out what to do with the stubble.

To give you an idea of the problem - we baled 30 ha of straw, which yielded 640 8x3x3 bales at roughly 7t/ha of stubble.

There isnt any way i can handle to 4000 odd bales that doing the lot would produce. And standing/chopped stubble just wont break down quick enough (im happy to be proved wrong though)

Our system is zero till (disc seeder) and retaining as much OM as possible is very important and the dirt has been worked hard for a very long time and is really tired and fragile.

I would really like to avoid burning stubbles if possible.

Am currently looking in to a high speed disc option - lely, speedtill, gregoire besson, Lemken.

Thanks in advance, Hugh

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you aren't fighting excess moisture, I have found the long straw easier to plant through than the "shredded" straw. that is with disc openers...not hoe openers. Have planted through 2 years of 200 bu corn stalks with no problem...no row cleaners, just planter row units with heavy down pressure. Have a stripper header and have had no problems planting into the residue unless there is too much moisture (usually only happens the first few years of no-till while the soil profile is still "opening" up. But we are in complete different soils and conditions, so take this for what its worth, and remember it was given free ;o) good luck

·
Registered
836 Posts
I guess you know your disc drill better than us but it SHOULD go through it without any extra passes.

Running the combine over it again is an option. We had mustard that was to tall last year, stood 6-7' high for the most part, and we had to cut it twice. The first time getting the crop left stubble 3' high that needed to be chopped down to 6". It worked but bit of a PITA covering 600 acres twice. I wouldn't want to waste that much time on to much land or every year though.

Another option might be a big mower. Shulte makes them up to 42' now.

Schulte Industries Products

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.