The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fickle finger of wheat has tickled me where the sun don't shine again this year. My wheat field got overrun with grass big time. There's wheat in it, but quackgrass, timothy, brome,. . .Wheat heads are filled out and very high moisture at this time.

First option, wait for it to begin to dry down and spray it with round up to kill / desicate the grass.

Thought of, would it be decent feed to ensile? Too rich with the wheat? I was just planning on selling it, but the thought crossed my mind. . .what you guys know about this.

TIA, Tbone

·
Registered
85 Posts
We chopped about 300 acres of wheat about a month ago when the heads were just in the dough and it looked great going into the pit. The feedlot we chopped it for raises all beef cattle and were planning on feeding it this winter. We have chopped wheat in the past for dairies and they really liked it. They said the cows milked good on it and cleaned it up like candy.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello Tbone95
Chop it. It would be a shame to waste all that good feed in that volunteer grass. After it's off the field & get a few new leaves of regrowth, then hit with glyphosate to clean up the field. If wheat isn't past the dough stage & grasses aren't too old, they should have enough water soluble carbohydrates to ensile & make some good feed.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hello Tbone95
Chop it. It would be a shame to waste all that good feed in that volunteer grass. After it's off the field & get a few new leaves of regrowth, then hit with glyphosate to clean up the field. If wheat isn't past the dough stage & grasses aren't too old, they should have enough water soluble carbohydrates to ensile & make some good feed.
X2. With where wheats at probably pencils out better anyways. I've never worried about making too good of feed. Can always cut it with straw or poorer hay. And running tough grass through the combine is overrated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If the mixture of plant is at the right moisture, it can be chopped and will make a decent "filler" feed. Need to be careful with feeding out wheat though as cattle heat up on it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hello Tbone95
Don't be in a hurry to do anything with the field after you spray. If you have lots of quack grass, giving glyphosphate more time will get you a better kill. I like to spray in the fall and leave the field until spring to replant but even a few weeks will help loads.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will have to check with crop insurance. If I go silage, I wouldn't even look to get paid if I could just opt out so to speak and say I'm happy with the yield as a feed. Not sure how that will pan out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.