The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring we ran a new 2014 john deere 1895, loved the seed placement and field finish in most conditions. However we were also extremely wet this spring and there were days that I cursed this unit. With gauge wheels filling with mud (spoked guage wheels coming if this unit stays), hair pinning was an issue in soft ground (residue management could have been better, with taller stubble), and heavy! This we couldn't control, the mainframe castors aren't quite big enough and will begin to push if the surface is opened in tractor wheel tracks and this is what gets you stuck, a lot unfortunately. Overall I did really like this drill and think that it could work very well once we get used to the different system. However this area is definitely trending to wet seeding conditions and I know seedhawk guys seem to praise their units in the mud, and this unit was my next choice last fall when shopping, is their anyone else that has gone through this kind of switch and what are your thoughts and experiences here?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Seedhawk is hands down the best unit in mud, they are lighter weight than most others & as long as you have your straw managed they will pull through anything and plug almost no runs. I went 2 days this year without plugging a single seed run. Dragged the drill through whatever mud & water that the tractor can manage and still have great rows. But there is a price, you will probably have the roughest field finish & your going to lose some ground speed, 5-5.5mph is max. We switched from Flex Coil 5000s to Seedhawk in 2006. Still have a NH SD440(a new Flexi 5000) as a backup seeder and theres no comparison.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Field finish with a seed hawk is terrible. Actually horrible. Deere needs alittle angle on their guage wheels along with spoked wheels, then mud wouldn't be a problem. Has anyone ever ripped across a field with a quad after it was seeded with a seed hawk, have to dodge all the beaver huts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.