The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market and have done some research on these 4x4s but still trying to figure some stuff out. Something in the 6,000-10,000 hr range is most likely what is going to fall into my budget. Currently run 1970s vintage 4x4s, so am not familiar with this "new" machinery. Would like to better understand the different transmission options. I operate in some hills but nothing too extreme. Would very much like to have a diff lock though as I have heard of people that wish they did have it. In ads I have seen power sync, quad range, partial Powershift, full powershift, PQ (powerquad?), syncro, 12 speed, 24 speed etc. I have read that the 24 speed powershift is the preferred tranny whichever one that is. Would also like to know which trans are deemed most and least reliable as I will be getting something with some hours and hoping not to have to half the cost of the tractor again into a tranny rebuild although I understand that's the risk I take with used machinery. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
233 Posts
don't think there was a power quad option on the 4wd's.... We have an 8770 and its bombproof (although all of the 4wds from that era were pretty tough tractors I think). there was a 12 speed (4 ranges x 3 synchro gears) or 24 speed (a 2 speed high / lo power shift added in each of the 3 gears, and there was a 12 speed full power shift but I have honestly never actually come across one..... the 12 speed models sell at a discount to the 24 for a reason! that one downshift is really nice to get up a hill or to slow down a bit for headlands.

if going for a 12 speed I would go after a 70 series model. they have a power bulge / field cruise that will add a lot of power if you start to lug. Have found that it takes a pretty good hill before I even have to think about downshifting.

I'd steer clear of the 89x0 model. have heard a dozen different reasons why over the years but a John Deere tractor and the Cummins 855 never really got along all that well!

happy hunting! they are a pretty good tractor

·
Registered
88 Posts
We have an 8760 with the 24 speed transmission. I've never been around the 12 speed, but my understanding is that it has to be clutched between every shift. The 24 speed is like a power quad and you have a clutchless shift between two gears which is very useful when the pulling gets tough or even just slowing down for corners. We did have to get it worked on a few years ago because the clutchless shift wouldn't work, but I think that had more to do with an oil cooler line breaking and losing transmission oil.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I'd steer clear of the 89x0 model. have heard a dozen different reasons why over the years but a John Deere tractor and the Cummins 855 never really got along all that well!

happy hunting! they are a pretty good tractor
I would beg to differ, likely just they need some fuel pump work. Cummins sells much more to case IH. Who do you think will get better fuel pump settings from the factory.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
We happen to have two 70 series tractors, one has the 24 speed and the other the 12 speed standard transmission.

With the 12 speed, there is no ability to shift under load between two gears like the 24 speed. As well only one gear shift lever is synchronized so that the tractor can be rolling and depress the clutch pedal and shift to the next higher or lower gear "1,2,3,R". The other gear shifter "A,B,C,D" can not be shifted until the tractor comes to a complete stop. That means for instance to get into road gear ( D ), have to stop to shift it up to D, then put the other gear selector into "1" and hope you can get going and not abuse the clutch too much in the process. Its probably the most simple transmission I would guess but its not considered a user friendly transmission and some wide speed gaps within the field gearing speed selections.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have 1992 8760 since new. 12 speed. Wish I had a 24speed for that 1 shift. Also there are a few speed gaps in the 12. No trouble with the 12 speed tranny though. Sounds like I am due for a head gasket as I have over 7000 hrs, according to a previous poster. Have replaced oil pan gasket, water pump, injectors, hydraulic pump and charge pump. Also seals in the driveline to the rear. These repairs were done in the 6-7000hr range. Also had dampers changed per maintenance. The major repair was the hydraulic,charge pump which of course happened with no warning on a May long weekend. lol

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Had an 8770 and traded for a 9330 for increase in hp and Huge increase in fuel useage. LOL,
When I was looking for an 8770 they were very hard to find, it was a great Reliable puller, had 12 speed and No issues.
The only issue some 60 and 70's had were hoses rubbing under frame after thousands of hours and possible fires

·
Registered
20 Posts
PTO's not very often. I think around 8k factory option. Can add them at dealer. Not sure what it would cost. We didn't know that grain carts would become so popular in Manitoba. Would be a nice option to have now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry I"m slow to respond, was just kind of waiting to see what everyone had to say and thanks for the info. As far as fords/versatiles I looked at them and they're kind of few and far between around here or have 10000+ hrs on them. As far as 8960s and 8970s, I've looked into them as well and they seem to be a solid tractor but there are fewer to choose from, cost more, and are really more tractor than I need. So if I am to understand correctly, there are actually only 2 transmissions to choose from? The 24 speed partial power shift or the 12 speed synchro? Can somebody confirm that for me?
I also understand that the rubber coupler between the engine/trans can be an issue, PTOs are hard to come by and cost close to 10k to get installed, 8770s were electronically controlled and had a bit more lugging ability, headgaskets possible issue at 7000 hrs (what would this cost to do if needed?) and a few other issues to look for at my hour range.
I am also looking at the possibility of buying in the midwest and shipping back west to me. Price, condition, and number of tractors to choose from are the main benefits. Kind of nervous about this since I would likely have to buy without seeing in person. Would appreciate any advice as to long distance buying. The search continues!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Early 8X60 tractors with a 2 speed(24 speed) had some issues with the two-speed..also had a lot of hydraulic hose issues..as in they blew a lot of hoses. The engines on the early versions were not electronic-controlled injection pumps...the start/kill solenoid could cause issues. Cummin's engines in the big ones had a special JD/Cummins electronic engine control which was merely Ok. Not all that bad a tractor if you didn't get hung with a dud two-speed(John Deere had a 'fix as fail' extended warranty on the two-speeds...many lasted until that program expired!)

Later 60 series 4x4 were pretty decent tractors. Better hoses..electronic engines..decent tractors.

The 70 series tractors are pretty close to the later 60 series...added an 8870 to the line-up. These for whatever reason(probably newer/less hours) tend to sell for more money

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah yes the 350 hp 8870, they are pretty rare around here for whatever reason. I am really gravitating towards the 8770 if I can find what I'm looking for. Hoses I can deal with if need be. Seems that I read here or somewhere about some of these tractors catching fire for some reason, not sure if that had to do with hydraulics or what.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
NOT MORE HORSEPOWER THEN YOU NEED, JUST MORE THEN YOU ARE USED TO.

I don't ever regret any gallon of fuel my 450 horses burn... Cuz when I need them, they are there. I am pretty sure I could out pull a lot of 9400s out there with equal weight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Haha well when you put it like that. If anybody out there knows of a nice 8960 looking for a good home I'd make an offer. However, for the money I'd like to spend I could either get a more used higher horse tractor vs a less used lower horse tractor. I pose another question then, how is fuel usage on the 855 cummins vs the 10.1 Deere? I know a lot of different variables, but how about just in general.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Our Deere shop told us the Cummins was a better option. We run a 8960 with 20.8-42 triples. Pull 55.5 ft 2210 field cult no problem. They also offered them with a twin disk 12 spd powershift . Our 8960 is way more tractor than our 8850 was even after the kinze repower

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.