The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fall i was combining for a neighbor on the same field as a 1997 R62 and a 2005 9860 demo. we were on oats and the gleaner which is 1/5 of the price kept up within 0.5 mph, with a cleaner sample and less overthrow. That is why nothing beats a natural flow rotor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is funny.I had R72 out and it was useless in oats.It plugged up about every 50 feet,after 4 days still did not have outside round done so i parked it.The salesman told us to open the concave up so we did and had to drop the concaves to unplug it.The 8780,9700 and 8590 had no problems with it.The neighbour runs a r75 and his fields are just has green or worse than any brand of combine.Needless to say we did not buy a r72.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Everybody slow down on this or this will be deleted, right now there is nothing on this 9860 vs gleaner, only bull s.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Always wanted to but this is the first time I seen i can change , my name has always been there and just wanted to change so it will be the same. If any body wants me the other way it will be. I did not want to hide anything. Mother John Deere
it's me. Right now I work for Plains Power at Osceola, NE

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thats true, a Gleaner can't compare to a 9860 cuz it can't throw that much grain out the back! Or put as much trash in the bin as a Deere!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nov 11, 2008, 9:12am, gleanerf2fan wrote:

Plus most of the parts on a JD, guess where they came from? Gleaner's ideas.

Gleaner? Clearly JD Engineering ripped ideas off of the Axial Flow. Can't say I see any of the old N7 I used to have when I look at my 9770. But I sure do see some 2188 I traded it for in it.

Who was it that said, "There are no new ideas anymore."? They must have been talking about combines.

·
Registered
475 Posts
There all good, just depends how you tickle their belly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We run a R65 and personally speaking i really doubt it could keep up to a 9860, the Gleaner by design is much simpler and far less moving parts, much easier to work on in comparison. Gleaner did have many firsts from years gone by such as the cleaning fan, possibly the rotor and a few others BUT Deere leads the way in many creature comforts and electronic gadgets and marketing and the real biggy as far as i am concerned is Deere has a far superior flex head, maybe now that Gleaner has a few of Deere's top guys working for them now in design we may see more of those creature comforts and electronic gadgets too. I do agree though that they are all good machines, red, silver, green and yellow, its all how they are setup and taken care of.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My uncle runs a 9400 and was looking for a second machine so he tried out a R42, but they or the dealer couldn't keep it from throwing wheat out the back. The neighbor loves his R72 though. I did see some wheat samples out of a STS this year and there was a lot of unthrashed heads. We have always fought our MF 540 in trying to keep the straw out of the sample, but even that was cleaner than the STS (a lot slower though). And just because it has a rotor, doesn't mean it had to have come from a Gleaner even though there are some on this board that think so.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
[quote When I see a combine out in use, JD, CIH, NH, MF, etc. I see Gleaner blood deep within them.
[/quote

I thought New Holland had the claim to the first Rotory.

I have nieghbours who have run gleaners forever...they like them, but their dealer has a plane to fly the service guy and parts around.

They are 400 miles from dealer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They all are good combines and like hibred said it all depends on how you set them up and take care of them. For us we run deere. They have been really good to us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts