The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some thoughts on fert placements with these units. We are getting a new machine this spring with the 550 tank and will be set up with anhydrous and paired row seed. I am wondering about the dry blend, down the deep shank, with the seed, or some of both. We have always single shot on 3" openers and mid rowed the anhydrous with our Bourgault so this set up is new to me.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Just looking for some thoughts on fert placements with these units. We are getting a new machine this spring with the 550 tank and will be set up with anhydrous and paired row seed. I am wondering about the dry blend, down the deep shank, with the seed, or some of both. We have always single shot on 3" openers and mid rowed the anhydrous with our Bourgault so this set up is new to me.
I am in a similar situation, with the single knife and a 430 tank. I will be pulling a liquid caddy for N and S.

Had a SeedHawk previously, with their cart I generally would put P with seed for cereals and canola, and sideband it for soybeans. K was side banded for everything.
I was planning on doing the same with the 1870. I keep my P and K separate though and don't blend anything except for micros in to the P.
Had also put up to 40-70 actual P/K blend down with winter wheat one fall with an 1820 drill with 3/4" knives, seemed to be OK even with dryer conditions.

Is your concern seedling safety with the starter blend? Seed Hawk had big warnings about keeping all fertilizer away from the seed, but we never ran into issues, even when the soil was very dry later in 2012.

Where are you farming?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seed safety is a concern if I put my blend with the seed, but on the flip side to put it all deeper with the fert shank will we be starving the crop for the first few weeks. Usually end up putting approx 60 lbs of 12-51 and 30lbs of 0 0 60 as a blend. With our Bourgault this all went with the seed on a 3" spread. Our demo last spring with the 1870 was on a !/4 of canola. For that they reccomended all down the deep shank and it was our best canola field by a decent amount. One field one year does not tell the whole tale so was just wondering what others are doing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
running a 1870 for 2 years with a maxquip and put all the starter down the fert knife. have always keep the fert away from seed for about 10 years now. one benefit of no fert with the seed is you can really control the wind speed on the seed to prevent seed bounce. also with full blockage, set at 2 seeds/second it will pickup when the canola tank starts to run empty so I did not bother with cameras in the tanks. it would not be too hard to do some trials since the tank is easy to switch where the fert goes.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We only seeded wheat last year with ours. Put 80 lbs/ac product, phos and sulphur blend, down with the (150 lbs/ac) seed in the seed shank. Straight 46 in the fert shank. 230 lbs of seed and phos blend was a lot to get thru the seed shank. Plugged up a few times running 4.5 mph and 5000 fan rpm. I think after trying more rpm and playing around with it that we are close to the limit for those products mixed. With our 2 cart setup ( Tbt 430 bu and tbh 350 bu)were right on the edge of the tractor hyd capacity. That is the main problem but I did find that it took a lot more rpm to push the rate any higher than what we were putting on without plugging.
I tried some strips with more p&s blend 100 lbs/ac and found it burnt the seed pretty bad. You could see the thin crop strips from 1/2 a mile away. We have the side band openers. I think we're just under the limit of what's safe with the seed. Not sure about the canola with that same rate with the seed?

I still think there should be some p with the seed all the scientists studies show that it should be with the seed that's why we put it there. Now when rates get real high it is not convenient to have several p blends so I understand why people put all the fert down the fert shank and leave the seed by itself.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We bought this unit the first year deere released it, so we've tried all sorts of combinations, we run 100% dry fert.
Only problem is when you don't apply much blend with the seed, it tends to plug fert. runs often. But as you are pulling anhydrous, that wont be an issue.
as the seed boot is split, we found that it works best to not put the fert shank in too deep, reason is, it is applied first, and ahead of the seed shank, so as the split boot seed shank follows it, there is already disturbed dirt falling back into the furrow of that slightly deeper center schank.
And plus, since its shooting the seed to the sides, there is already seperation there.
We only have our center schank 1/2" deeper then the seed. We found this to be enough seperation, and with the best results, and have been doing it for years now.
Our next step will be to apply straight N in the center shoot, and the remaining blend with the seed, that is about the only combo we havent tried.
Currently we even throw a little starter in along with the seed as well using the middle tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts