The Combine Forum banner

Deere R4045 review

35K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  Don Boles 
#1 ·
Well brother just got his r4045 120' the other day and dealer finally got the right nozzles in for the sharp shooter

Seen it my self for the first time today, and it looks dam impressive... Built like a brick ****house, blown away how much heavier it looks over patriot... Cab looked very nice...

He had a 4430 patriot before and it worked very well, so this was a tight decision

He said he's only sprayed a few quarters with it so far and this is his thoughts so far

Cab view in fold up is better than patriot, Deere gps is more accurate than patriot, his patriot was always jumping around because of gps...booms so far seamed as good if not better and height control on booms better than patriot....ride goes to the Deere, cab noise was hands down louder on Deere, and cab monitor still was assessing, as for hp hands down to case, he says he was maxed out at 14mph on a level field with Deere, with motor grunting.....

Dealer says it will get better during brake in:p. sprayer looks like it's much heavier than patriot, see how it is in the wet fields... And it's weight ballence on a scale

As for hills he had not tried any hills yet but is really concerned that it will be week because of hp

Sharpshooter is not the same as aim he thought, since his pressure was changing while speed was being reduced, needs more time to see results

Simplicity of outside controls looks basic but getting use to electronic touch pad, front fill looked good and positive air to clean out lines, case never had that

I hope to get in it myself and get some spraying done this week to compare as well, over all it looks like Deere raised the bar over older older series, but weight is still heavy... Price is:eek:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I just took one for a test drive this morning (R4038). I liked the ride, the setback front axle felt odd (just because it is different that what I'm used to), the power was surprisingly good and it has some nice features that I wish I had on my 4830. There was a R4045 there as well and they said it had noticeably more power than the 4038 but I didn't try it. The sound level, I thought, was about the same as my 4830 just different. Where the 4830 has a high RPM 'whine' to it, the R4038 sounded more like a truck. Hopefully, when the time comes to change machines I can find a low hour 4830. Otherwise, don't know what I'm going to do.

#9 ·
Well got to run sprayer last week, did I say it was over built...

Comming from the patriot early in the day I found the Deere to follow the ground on the booms not as good, hit the dirt more than a few times where patriot would of not, also found booms to be dancing more around fighting to find sweet spot

Found ride roughter than 4430 patriot, it seams the patriot floats more where Deere is much stiffer, found visibility better with booms in fold up postion on the Deere and about the same in field, little less neck fatigue with Deere because of seating postion compared to case

Sharpshooter worked same as aim, and did a fine job, Deere computer seamed ok, and gps needed a little tweaking, wanted to wonder in the hills but over all ok

Now for the biggest downside of the Deere, this sprayer is underpowered suvierly, we had dropped speed to less than 5mph on a few hills where patriot would of flown over... Motor just laboered very loud and we thought a few times that it would come to a stop... It's not 100 hp low, maybe two hundred... Can't imangine this in wetter terrain conditions, don't think it could be used, that bad

Also found Deere sprayer much louder in the cab, than what I was use too, using the phone was a peda

Positives over the patriot were that booms could be raised higher on the wings, to get threw tight revenes, I actually have a few that the patriot will max out on the lift with, where this Deere would be fine

Deere has more room at tank above to walk around

This review was on a hr of using it and was first impressions of it, with more break in time on engine, and hrs of running it it could be different, but the little I used it, I prefer the patriot

#15 ·
First, I'm a Deere guy, but I feel like these sprayers fell waaaay short of all the pre release hype.

We have 2 4030's and I'm highly under-impressed with them. They are VERY heavy and sluggish. They feel like they have the same HP to weight ratio as Deere 4700. We traded 2 4730's in, and I do not feel like the new sprayers are worth the additional cost.

We have around 280 hours on each machine, and they both still feel gutted. I'm not sure if ours have laminated glass or not, but they seem just as loud as our 4730's, especially with a high engine load. The mirrors on the booms suck too. It needs a bigger fuel and DEF tank. I may be in the minority here, but the new cab placement makes it very hard for me to watch the ends of the 100' boom. I amconstantly looking around the cabs corner post.

The good: it's easy to load and easy to operate. Suspension is really nice. Boom is very robust. It's easy to load and easy to get clean. The new tractor cab is nice. It is also very easy to service.

#23 ·
Well just spent first day in the r4045, I was impressed overall. Lots of refinements over the '30's and 4940. Very impressed with the load command, makes life a lot simpler! Check nozzles, agitation, dial in your load, no valves! Lots of power, not as ass end heavy. Booms are lighter, but with lighter, they aren't as stable. But lighter should be easier or quicker to handle using boomtrac, boomtrac could use some improvement. Quieter cab, always a plus. Overall, I'm impressed.

#24 ·
Top speed of 17 mph in the field? I dont run fast when field conditions are dusty or when spraying specific herbicides. But when there is no dust and when spraying fungicides and there is no dust I would be quite pissed off if I couldnt dangle at 20 mph. Fortunately My 1300 gator is not underpowered, rides just as good as any Deere and the SISU engine dream on fuel. Saved myself close to 20 grand last year in comparison to my 1286 with the C-9 cat. I love this machine, and the raven height control is still the best one for keeping the booms flat and level than i have seen on any other machine. It is a lot quieter, still not like a Case, and the GPS still does not perform as well as a Deere. Pricey yes, especially with 132 foot pommier booms and 4 wheel steer.

#25 ·
Talked with the brother today about it, now with three hundred hrs on it, he still very disappointed in power and speed. He says dealer was out so many times that warrenty has questioned them..

Dealer has a few out and it seams to be a general problem.. He said he has hills he can't climb that the case went up at 17mph, said the weight split is also not correct, having other concerns.. Been having a few electrical issues on boom controls

Had case dealer out to trade it off back to a 4440 patriot.. Some what sad:eek:

#28 ·
Just tell me and everyone else on here 17-5mph. Not "17 and can't even make it up the hill". I really like my Case sprayer, but I am also interested in my next sprayer, whichever and whenever that might be. So like to here real world experiences like yours. Thanks for the info.

#30 ·
Bussard, since that 4045 is such a turd it won't be worth a whole lot. I would gladly buy it from your brother and to help him out! ? Not to many use 4045's around yet.

That is being sarcastic a bit. We have the same sprayer, 200 hours on it and quit happy with it. Dealer did do sow thing to hydralics and seemed to help. Have a lot of hills also.

#32 ·
We have a new JD R4045 sprayer that we have now done 400+ hours, we had a JD 4930 sprayer that we traded, wish we didn't.
The R4045 is gutless 25 to 30% less power than our 4930.
Not only is this machine unproductive because of its lack of power we have also had 3 major break downs.
Dealer is doing everything they can but from what I here all the new sprayers are the same.

#33 ·
Just wondering what are you are having problems with, three major breakdowns is fair bit for low hour machine. We have 4038 with 725 eng hours and have very little problems, one wheel sensor and had todo solution pump seals. As far as power go's we have to go down most our bigger hill's. The sprayer could use more power with 380's on it is a bit painful trying to keep speed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.