The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does a rotor plug? Is it really necessary to have a reversible rotor? If I do plug can't I just increase concave clearance and to gain more space to get a slug through?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've never heard of a sts rotar plugging. We have gone through beans with half the leaves on them and green stems and as long as we wern't getting pods and they tested good there was no problem. Now with the red rotar, there seems more than a few guys that plug them. One thing about it, once you get the rotar turing it's hard ot stop it.

-Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep, u break to many of the tines off the back of the rotor, then ya cant move product to the discharge beater and your screwed. She will get tight. Had to drop concaves and sep grates to get her out. Darn rocks. No reversin would have helped that situation!
Have a good one,
DeereCattopher

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My dad plugged ours one time. It was plugged so tight the dealer had to come out and take the feederhouse off to get it unplugged.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You open the concaves try low gear and if that doesn't work drop the concave down which isn't that hard in a red combine.

at that point you might as well get the wrench and start running it out then try again...

If you buy a lexion im sure you wouldn't need any of our info since there the best thing on earth you will never have this issue..

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Not an STS but I've plugged a 9610 conventional machine a few times. Usually you can back the concaves off and it will suck through but it has failed a few times. This is with defoliated A. Seed which is still green hay underneath in the growthy spots, when all else fails you pull off the inspection doors get a long bar and start digging.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i love the hollands, ive plugged them pretty d**n tight, but u just take the doors off, pull some material out and lower the concaves as you need. then eventually u can wrench it loose with the big wrench on the pully

Matt

·
Registered
36 Posts
With the Deere just start at the front and loosen the feed accel. belt and pull the rotor out of gear, engage and get the discharge clean. Then pull the rotor in gear, then finally tighten the feed accel. I have seen custom cutters with a special socket for the feed accel that they can put a pipe on that hangs over the top beam of the feederhouse...raise the feeder house...turn the pipe....

Anything will plug if you try hard enough...what matters is if you are smart enough to know how to get it unplugged...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The way we did ours was like this.

Disengage the feed accelerator, raise the chopper, put the rotor in neutral, slow the rotor down as low as possible, open concaves run the combine to empty the discharge beater, then put the rotor in low gear, start on medium idle and try, if smoke disengage and try again, then if that works, you get out and engage the feed accelerator then lower the chopper again & tighten the concaves and go back to work. Only done it once in green irrigated wheat straw but did it a few times at the King Ranch in milo.... We were pushing them trying to get done and I pushed too hard

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have had a reversable rotor on the Massey since 1996. Have used it, in all crops at some time or another. That is the first question I asked the JD rep when they were introduced was how to reverse the rotor. He had no answer and all I replied was that they had not done enough acres.

The Massey, Cat, Gleaner with the hyd drive rotor is quite simple. Lower the concave, get in cab and use rocker switch to rock the rotor in reverse to forward. You can feel it when the rotor stops in reverse and then forward. You have to get the rotor rocking freely so some rpm's show on tach.

I did not completely get rotor freed once in edible beans and then it is a job to get the slug out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your book for a 9650 should tell you the steps to unplug if you forget but they tell you to do it the way that jhndeeregrn84 and alex ryan said. In 5 or 6 years of running an sts we have never plugged the rotor. We have plugged the feed accelerator and the discharge beater though but I dont think reverse would have helped us in either situation.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have had a Massey rotor since 1998 and pluged the rotor one time in safflower and green weeds.I got it unpluged with out getting out of the cab or lowering the concaves it worked just like they said it would.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ain't it nice to use a rocker switch in the comfort of the air conditioned cab to unchoke a rotor??

Sometimes I'll have to get out and check the chaff spreader to make sure it is clean before I start back cutting but lowering the convave and using the switch is about it to unchoke it.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
In the 8 seasons and 1600 hours I've personally run STS I'll swag I plugged it 30 times. If that's correct then 27 times I was going again in 30 to 60 seconds. That procedure Alex describes is just operator's manual fluff.

Once took 10 minutes, once 4 hours, once 6 hours. On the last 2 a reversing rotor would not have helped unless it comes with an internal chainsaw.

I hear guys talking about plugging the feed accelerator a feat I've only accomplished once.
Never plugged the discharge beater.

Don

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
On the 9750 STS that we had the feed accelerator was the bottleneck. I spent more hours under the throat digging that thing out than I care to remember. We made a wrench to fit the pulley that helped a lot but I still say the feed accelerator is a crappy design. I see now that Lankota is making a pulley wrench and in great big letters highlighted "One of 2007's highest sellers" in their catalog. So I guess its still a problem with the STS...

Massey's come with a pulley wrench. In the last 2 machines we've owned both were never used. They just don't plug up.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sure is nice in the axial series Agco machines, open the concave, reverse the rotor, start the rotor, reset the concave, and go, all from the operators seat. Have never sen one that had to be dug out yet, yet is the key word. There is no discharge beater to plug either. Have plugged the feeder or accelerator, machine comes with the tool to back it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts