The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey hey,

I've got a question my three local dealers can't really seem to find an answer to since no-one in our area has done it yet.

We have an 01 9300, i'm gonna be upgrading to the HID's. The way i understand it, the alternator will be able to handle all 8 since it draws less power overall compared to the halogens. Wiring these is not an issue, but i'd like to make sure im not over-working the alternator since i imagine they can get pricey. opinions? advice?

Also, on the 20 series deere's with the light package they have the handy dandy strobe light on a pole to better prepare drivers for a SMV. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like it just mounts to the mirror support/handle in front of the door.

How would one go about wiring that? Obviously i need a switchable power/ground, and thought about just wiring it into the caution lights, but would that cause it to flicker on/off instead of actually strobe?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Got a spare battery and some wire laying around? Hook up the new lights to a spare battery and measure the current. Compare with the old lights and if it's less or equal, no problem. There's ways to measure even if your meter doesn't have a high enough current capacity.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know two use less wattage (i converted my truck to hid's) but occassionally they dont get enough power to get the ballasts to ignite the lights, so i have to switch em on/off real fast.

I'm not sure if the aftermarket ones are the same...if they are, who knows if i'll ever get enough power to all 8 at the same time to ignite the bulbs or not?

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
As far as the rotating beacon light, you can buy a kit from deere the part numbers are RE239930 for the beacon and RE235448 for the switch kit. I have mounted rotary beacons on the top of the cab right in the middle as another option and you can even get power from the power port strip in the corner of the cab, they don't take much power to run at all.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
The current, or wattage, is all that's going to work the alternator. If it's less, your alt will be fine. Getting the ballast to fire off is an issue for sure. Maybe don't switch them all at once? A couple of circuits with independent switches....Cold makes it worse too, right?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the switch #, i know they can get the little arm deal as well (plan on running an oversized LED strobe).

Thats what has me wondering how deere/case/etc can get all their HID's to fire right everytime...i'd think their identical to the car systems, but maybe they changed some? i havent been able to look at a 20 series close up for wiring and such to see if anything is different there, or if its all in the light housings.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Typical HID lights that are equivalent to 55W halogen use approx 4 amps to Run. The problem is that when they start they draw a full 20 amps each for a short period of time (approx 20secs). With 8 lights that you wish to add this will be a draw of 160 amps at once. That sort of load will be an issue fro starting them all at once without fitting a series of relays. My advice would be to get good Auto electrician to wire it up for you with relay for each and maybe a slight delay circuit if he knows how.

Jono

·
Registered
192 Posts
We put two HIDs on our 9860 and just tapped into the stubble lights under the cab,2 of our 3 combines kept blowing the fuse when putting the lights on.thought about putting in a bigger fuse not sure if its a good idea though.any thoughts on that

·
Registered
36 Posts
8 HID's? Wow you really want to see whats out there. I think even the new 70 series only comes with lights 2 and 5 as the HIDs if you order the option, the rest are halogen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The most on a tractor is 5 from the factory. I think the alt. would push it but like others have said you would probably be better off not powering them all on at once....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well at minimum i could do 4-6. I'd really like 6 so the rear fenders have a set, rear roof light is a set, and the forward roof light is a set.

I could get away not having the forward roof lights...but it'd be nice so i can see catch basins ahead of me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
alternator will probly be fine.if not you will find out soon enough.beacon light would work better with its own power supply,and switch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts