The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Hang on ..... whoo stop!
I was told "you're the only one having trouble with DEF on a combine"

Could it be the case that they are telling me "porky pies?"
Gee, that wouldn't be the case now .... would it?

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
Hang on ..... whoo stop!
I was told "you're the only one having trouble with DEF on a combine"

Could it be the case that they are telling me "porky pies?"
Gee, that wouldn't be the case now .... would it?
Heavens no Rod!:rolleyes:

Not NH but my combine only ran about 4 hours before it was a 1200 rpm wonder.:mad:
It only needed a software update but still, what a PITA!

Nuisance, time lost, aggravation, who do I see about that?:confused:
What am I accomplishing with this crap?
And is it really doing any good?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Tier 4 certainly helps my *local* environment. I'm very sensitive to diesel exhaust (it's really the particulate pollution that I'm smelling). Got a bit sick the other day loading the semi as I had to stand down wind of the stack while watching the loading progress. I don't have this problem with Tier 4 engines. I can stand downwind of them all day with no effect. I found that a good mask filtered out the smelly particles easily, which made me a lot more comfortable.. So diesel smoke is definitely a human health concern, and NOx really does cause smog. These facts cannot be denied.

Now, how much does agriculture contribute to this public health problem? Not very much. Compared to diesel trucks (and cars) on the roads and in cities, we're just a drop in the bucket. But overall I'm glad that diesels are getting cleaner (IMO tier 4f is as cleans as they can get and any move beyond this should be resisted).

Now CO2 emissions are another story. The Tier regulations are primarily to do with pollution, not CO2.

·
Registered
962 Posts
my biggest problem is with the DEF itself. this s**t can't freeze if it does it crystallizes then clogs filters in your system. It has a short shelf life of 6 - 12. If you have any left over from this season you have to store it in doors so the crap don't freeze allowing you to use it out next spring. they need something more USER FRIENDLY if they want us not to tamper with our systems !!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Def system is still in its learning curve, agree with it crystallizes, don't think that machines run in a cold environment??? Regen system is a joke, got to be the dumbest desighn I have ever seen and expensive to work on/repair. Will we see delete kits, I really doubt it, yes ag is a small sector in the spectrum, BUT its against the law in the US. Sure as heck hope we don't have to deal with California bullsnit, I am for clean air, not a bible thumper by any means, agree def system needs to be tested ALOT more, my biggest issues are as noted above shelf life, freezing and contamination, Scott.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Def system is still in its learning curve, agree with it crystallizes, don't think that machines run in a cold environment??? Regen system is a joke, got to be the dumbest desighn I have ever seen and expensive to work on/repair. Will we see delete kits, I really doubt it, yes ag is a small sector in the spectrum, BUT its against the law in the US. Sure as heck hope we don't have to deal with California bullsnit, I am for clean air, not a bible thumper by any means, agree def system needs to be tested ALOT more, my biggest issues are as noted above shelf life, freezing and contamination, Scott.
I'm mostly refrained from voicing my (continuing) experience with DEF/Adblue on my combine but ........
In the last 2 cereal seasons, trouble & stoppages directly related to DEF system faults has cost me over $30,000 in lost harvesting time. As you would imagine ...... that makes me more than a little pissed with adblue - whatever you want to call it. System shutdowns, overheating adblue - yes once it reaches 71C, all bells & whistles go off & shuts the machine down - multiple system warnings, faults - you name it.
As for the "learning" bit, I'm f....d if I wish to pay for a major manufactures "learning experience" in adapting a truck technology & truck system to agricultural gear than travel at 10% of truck speed, operates in much higher temperature conditions, operates in all sorts of dust conditions, has such a small filter on the system even Linda Lovelace couldn't suck anything through it, is extremely prone to the minutest contaminant ..... & they put this on a combine harvester!
As for the fuel efficiency - that's BS. T4 has just gone back to "proper timing" of an engine. T2/T3 have their engine timing retarded so it increases combustion temperature - to burn the "nasties" - but it burns more fuel to gain the same HP. Get a T2 or T3 motor remapped to operate properly & then see the fuel economy.
Yes, you could say I'm more than a little annoyed with DEF on combines - yep, possibly bitter & twisted about it.
It is an extremely poor system & I'm f.... sick of it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I removed the def system on my '12 duramax at 900 miles, got an extended warranty til 2020. Cost me $6000 to remove the whole system, gain 4 mpg!! Never had a issues with it being gone yet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's been to the dealer many times, they just ask that if sum thing ever happened that I reinstall everything I took off. There's a listing on ebay right now for a def removal kit for 230 model combines. I'm in the great USA

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
Now that I've picked myself off the floor from laughing...!

That is one fine filter Rod!:eek:;)

My neighbours had trouble with overheating DEF tanks on their CR's and we never had harvest temps exceed 30.
Must be a New Holland thing.

LOL, can't get filter image out of mind!:)

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Just imagine if there was a way to leave the entire system in place, but be able to make the system believe that it did not need to inject much or any fluid.

Is it possible this could be done with the trickery of physics rather than electronics.

A sensor that senses NO gas and all of its variants seems to me to use the same basic principal as an O2 sensor. That being, that it always compares the gases to the atmosphere on the outside of the sensors involved to make its minor voltage changes.

I can't see why a bit of cooled exhaust would hurt any sensor.

The principal behind an O2 sensor is shown here. I think its the same principal being employed, only instead of driving a fuel mixture ratio, it drives a DEF ratio. ;)

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.