The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have noticed this for a few yrs now. Neighbors canola looks like wheat stubble after harvest. Perfectly straight 6 inch stalks. My left over stalks are a twisted contorted mess with twisted branching, secondary branching right at the ground, 3 or 4 of them. Stalks look like little trees after the leaves are blown off.

Like this;

Not seeing nay yield problems just wondering why.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't think I have low plant counts, still seeding 5lbs and rows are all germinated. You can barely walk in there after its cut so its good and thick.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Glad to hear you're getting it off! Is this the same stuff you had that other thread about? I would agree with the others, I think a combination of a thinner plant stand and stress.

That's actually quite a nice picture you took, calendar worthy!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Some straight cut canola varieties in my opinion is made to branch out like that so it is more woven together so that is can take lots of wind when it's ripe without shattering. I think that is one of the things that makes some vatieties so shatter resistant.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
It’s obvious in the photo the plant count is down. We’re you seeding marbles like a lot of the seed came this year?

It also don’t help maturity if your fighting that end of it.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's just a sample photo I found online, not from my crop, just to show that type of branching at the bottom right at the ground level. My stand is as thick as anything and not thinking about cutting back the rate.

I will snap one tomorrow when I am back in. Testing 14 yesterday. Should go tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
We’ve had the same type of twisted stems that grow close to the ground and then turn up. We’ve come to the conclusion its residual chemical damage from years past. Mostly happens when seeded on lentil stubble, crop germinates starts to grow, gets a rain and seems to reactivate chemical residual from previous years. Seems to be a pattern when we look at field records.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We’ve had the same type of twisted stems that grow close to the ground and then turn up. We’ve come to the conclusion its residual chemical damage from years past. Mostly happens when seeded on lentil stubble, crop germinates starts to grow, gets a rain and seems to reactivate chemical residual from previous years. Seems to be a pattern when we look at field records.
My canola is seeded into a field that hasn't seen lentils in 10 yrs and a peas in 5 yrs.

Could the fert be too hot and causing some early stress. We put it all in the seed row with spread tips, 60% ESN for safety.

I am curious to find this out because after the last snow rain storm, these wild branches all went down and made a tangled mess and my neighbors stood straight. He is having a cakewalk running through his. These low branches stayed green after being sprayed and even the frost could get all the way down in there. Its like cutting off 4 green stems instead of one.

I will check the stand tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
706 Posts
What variety? L234pc had serious issues with standability with higher fertility and heavier/compacted soils or areas (for example headlands)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts