The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Combined some 74-54 the other day..and it rolls out with close to 10% green. Been down for over 3 weeks. Talked to rep and a few other people and it seems like they have had some issues with that particular variety. Anyone else having similar problems?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
FarmerSK, how many days from planting to cutting? At the clubroot meetings maturity occurred anywhere from 105 to 124 days.

I had done a trial with that variety and 74-44 BL. 8 replications. Cut at 103 days, a bit early but the 44 was ready ready. 44 was 0.5% and 54 was 3.5%. Never grew any 54 on a whole field.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Yup, I think all dekalb varieties are that way, some worse though than others. I'm hearing reports up to 25% up here. Frost had likely something to do with it. Green count good in invigors but 261 was definitely highest reported...

·
Registered
869 Posts
74-44 BL seeded May 18, swathed Aug 21, combined dry Sept 12 zero green. Some lean, short but manageable. Large pods and seeds 55 lbs/bu. Threshed and separated easily,

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't want to start this conversation but we are the same 7454 10% swathed three days before frost, and 6% swathed two weeks before frost. We have l135c and 45h29 both are 2% yields are 135 52, 45h29 50, 7454 44. Lots of canola left to combine yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No issues with 74-44..Most guys around here cut way to Green!!!
X2

Our 74-44 yielded same as our l130 and was seeded into worse conditions after rain in late May. Sprayed twice with fungicide. Just shy of 60, good 58. Also swathed little early vs straight cut which normally yields more for us. Had some 2% but more due to overly wet or sand ridges from my opinion but could be wrong. Have noticed usually 0 green in invigor but never been a bad problem in our 74-44 or others dekalb we've tried. Usually swath ripe though this year swathed at 30% colour. Early side for us

·
Registered
303 Posts
Our 74-44 turned out with 1% green.
Seeded around May 20th and combined a week ago.

I was at a field trial this year and the seed farm rep recommended not growing 74-54 due to it flattening out. The same guy said he liked 74-44.

·
Registered
869 Posts
73-15 swathed 2% green. standing 5% green was froze when plants were green. But the standing l-120 1% green. H-31 and l-130 swathed was 0 green. We have a little bit of a green seed issue with the dekalb as well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
dekalb de worst

Maybe it works in some areas, but central alberta should have a quarantine against sales of this stuff. Been running Pioneer plots for the last 4 years with dekalb comparisons in the last 2. Dekalb has always been the greenest and the lightest yielding. This year field swathed ahead of frost and 7554 10% green, 7444 5%. Next closest variety was 3% green.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We grew 200 ac of 7454 this year (clubroot area) Yield was about same as the 135c and was 1.0 green, 135c was 0.5 Swathed aug.22 and combined sept.13 Wasn't quite as nice to swath as the 135c but wasn't bad. I would grow more again.

·
Registered
777 Posts
All of our 74-44 is standing and all that we've combined has been from 0-0.4%.
1 field of L135C was 0% (standing)
1 field of old trusty 5020 was 0% (swathed)

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Our Dekalb was seeded first and also had green issues. More diesease pressure as well compared to the invigor's. Also wanted to go pretty flat and was a bit of a pita to swath and I didn't know how it would be to straight cut leaning like that.

That said it did have a very respectable yield, did not beat our best invigor's but the best RR we've tried.

Great looking plant when it was growing and sure dig how green it is compared to the invigor's.

Ended up harvesting just about all the Invigor acres before we came back to the Dekalb and then just hit it knowing we had lots of low green bushels to disappear it if we had to.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Its odd. I have done large market development plots for years and can't get invigor to yield any better then dekalb or vice versa. The thing with dekalb and its high oil content is it has to be cut later, certainly more ripe.

Wondering why guys in sask grew 7454. Do you have that much clubroot?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Grew some 74-44, seeded may 16, swathed approx sept 5, dead ripe. I was worried about it shelling when swathing. Gaver **** the past few days to get it all off before the rain, never even giving green count a second thought, now here I sit with 10,000 bu of canola with 10% green. I have never had a green count problem in any canola before this year. Last year the Dekalb was the beautiful, short but erect like a 16 year old boy at a school dance, and was tied for the best yielder on the farm. This year the same variety was fairly tall, but flat as a pancake, and apparently 10% green. Amazing how the same variety can be so different from year to year

F me right.

·
Registered
55 Posts
7444 and 7454 were not around when we had our last sept frost 11,12,13 were all years where the frost came in Oct or later. Because of clubroot we are really limited on options. Pouring rain again today, maybe the green will come out on what we have left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts