The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does Dekalb even post the yield data for their canola trials. They give you absolutely no information about specific trials, and on top of that they use gross yield for comparison. But they claim it gets posted within 48 hours of combining, because they don't fudge the numbers. I've done trials for other companies and I can honestly say they don't work the numbers, although visual scaling of a graph can do wonders in marketing literature.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I absolutely agree, it would be nice to see fertility and seeding rate, seeder type, seed color change at swathing, days to swathing, green seed for sure, past rotation history etc.

What else would you like to see?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pioneer, does the same bull crap.

I trust my neighbors opinion, and the annual book MB crop insurance crop data. It shows how many acres seeded to what variety, it has yield data , but I go more by the number of acres seeded.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
It would be nice if the actual swathing dates for each variety in the trial were provided. Some trials are swathed all at the same time, which favors the earlier varieties because they reached maturity whereas the later varieties didn't. I have seen a lot of trials ruined in this fashion.:(

Just another reason to do your own trials...;)

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Our farm did a Dekalb trial this summer in conjunction with our family retail business ProSoils. It went very well and the results were posted online within 48 hours of harvest. I copied and pasted the results here to see. Any questions?

2014 Canola

Individual Plot Yield Report

Print Email Tweet
Prosko Farms ProSoils run trial

Rose Valley, Saskatchewan
Division No. 14 Planted: 05/15/2014
Harvested: 09/09/2014
Entry
Brand
Product Name
Trait
Yield (BU/A)

Test Average 52.1
1 CANTERRA SEEDS LTD. CANTERRA 1990 GENRR 52.8
2 BRETTYOUNG 6060RR GENRR 50.9
3 BRETTYOUNG 6044 GENRR 47.5
4 PIONEER 45S54 GENRR 52.0
5 PIONEER 45H29 GENRR 51.3
6 DEKALB 73-15 RR GENRR 49.9
7 DEKALB 73-75 RR GENRR 49.6
8 DEKALB 74-44 BL GENRR 53.7
9 DEKALB 74-54 RR GENRR 51.9
10 INVIGOR L130 LL 56.1
11 INVIGOR 5440 LL 56.1
12 INVIGOR L252 LL 53.4

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
We cover details like that during our field day as do most other field trials that are done in conjunction with a retail. I think the point of these trials is to show you a head to head yield comparison of different varieties where you have eliminated variables like seeding date, soil fertility, rotation, and other mistakes or variables that happen when going from field to field

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.