The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 520Delta Trac that is very noisy in the cab. This is when using the remote valves to operate hydraulic fans on a air seeder. Has anyone else had this? It is a high pitch whistle that is very annoying. Both the hydraulic fans are good. It is just the hydraulic noise in the cab.

Would there be a problem with the right hand door / window seals or lack of sound proofing in the cab. It is only 3years old approximately 1500 hrs
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
We have a DT550 but don't pull the air drill with it. If you have high flow hydraulics you could try hooking the fans to the other pump.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
What size hoses and couplers are you plugged into and how many gpm are your fans taking? 1/2 couplers are only designed for around 15 gpm and most are getting 2-3 x that much. Is that where the whine is coming from? Just to try it couple your seeder hoses to breakaway with a swivel coupler.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size hoses and couplers are you plugged into and how many gpm are your fans taking? 1/2 couplers are only designed for around 15 gpm and most are getting 2-3 x that much. Is that where the whine is coming from? Just to try it couple your seeder hoses to breakaway with a swivel coupler.
Thanks for this Transaxial, sorry for the late reply I have only been able to look into this today.
We are using 3/4 hoses to supply the fans and 1” couplers for the return.
The supply is from remote valves 5 & 6 and has the return back into the common return hoses etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You are sure it’s only when hydraulics running? Door whistles if not closed tightly and door latches in these tractors are notoriously poor.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Thanks for this Transaxial, sorry for the late reply I have only been able to look into this today.
We are using 3/4 hoses to supply the fans and 1” couplers for the return.
The supply is from remote valves 5 & 6 and has the return back into the common return hoses etc.
Sounds like you are doing it right. I have seen the internal parts of a Pioneer breakaway unscrew while being used. This results in the check balls in the end of the hose and inside the female coupler being too far apart to open fully. At some point this would restrict oil flow and your fan would slow down but either way there could be a restriction in flow causing a squeel of high pressure oil. As offroad suggested try switching to different couplers. If you find that as a problem and want a quick temporary fix just bybass the breakaway with a threaded swivel. I have repaired those couplers that unscrewed with loctite. Maybe I’m on the wrong bus here!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You say you are running fans on #5 and 6. Some tractors want you to run fans on a certain coupler that has different circuitry for lower return back pressure. That was #1 coupler on a Case Steiger 9280. Might be a thing.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Did a little reading on the related threads at the bottom of this one
CIH Steiger hydraulics
OP was Captain Tractor
There are several good posts about different valves, one way valves for running motors, and the post that seemed to nail the problem, setting up the detent pressure so the valve stayed open fully. Stopped the noise on that CIH 9260
Alrighty, here it is so far. I tracked down the previous owner. He had the same noise when the lever was locked. They changed the spool in #4 to a 'motor only' valve that operates in one direction only. This eliminated the squeal they had.

After some research, the sqeal comes from a detent relief valve that if the spring is weak/broken will not have enough jam to hold the lever in detent. Forcing the lever to stay there will cause the detent relief to pass and make a squeal that will drive you utterly nuts in minutes. Once I find out the remedy for the weak detent relief I will post an update.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
As I am working through this was wondering if you have your flow control turned up too high. Higher than necessary to get your required fan speed. That could cause relief valve to bypass oil and would cause excessive heat over time. A closed center pump is destroked by the flow control setting to pump just the required amount of oil. That would a simple thing for you to check.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
After doing some reading I found this thread that has some good info.
CIH Steiger hydraulics
Captain Tractor

Alrighty, here it is so far. I tracked down the previous owner. He had the same noise when the lever was locked. They changed the spool in #4 to a 'motor only' valve that operates in one direction only. This eliminated the squeal they had.

After some research, the sqeal comes from a detent relief valve that if the spring is weak/broken will not have enough jam to hold the lever in detent. Forcing the lever to stay there will cause the detent relief to pass and make a squeal that will drive you utterly nuts in minutes. Once I find out the remedy for the weak detent relief I will post an update.

Could you just have your flow control set too high?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After doing some reading I found this thread that has some good info.
CIH Steiger hydraulics
Captain Tractor

Could you just have your flow control set too high?
We run both the fans on the seeder at 4600 - 4700rpm hence the flow is turned up to 75-80%
I was wondering if it could be right hand door seals etc. I did have a similar noise from a cab fan on the Cat Challenger 700 & 800series a number of years ago. The only difference is that the noise stops as soon as you stop the hyd fan’s etc

The delta trac does have twin flow hyd pumps (2 hyd pumps) so the flow can be 400litre minute.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,
there can be a problem with the loud engine and motor parts. I would say try an Eicher it's way better than a delta. It's cabin it quite solid in built as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts