The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so last fall I was in here both on the Case side and the Deere side asking questions about rotaries and Alfalfa Seed harvesting. We indeed did get a side by side demo of an 07 8010 and a 07 9660, we started off with the 8010 running a 30' draper head at first the sample was the worst I've ever seen but this was due to a lack of experience setting a rotary in A. Seed and the return system. We eventually got the 8010 down to doing a OK job as far as in the tank but behind the machine it was a different story, we never did get it to stop pitching A. seed over the backside. We tried speeds from .9 mph up to 4mph nothing helped after 3 days we sent it back.

Now for the 9660...........we had a bit of a leg up to start with on this one because we have a custom cutter here in the valley that does A. seed with a 9650 sts, so we talked with him on the settings. They turned out to be way off with the Bullet rotor but after 1 day we had it up and running between 2-2.5 mph with a 25' platform, I must say that I was impressed with the STS, the seed sample was as good or better than our 9500, which was very important to us, and the straw chopper was.....well.........unbelievable! Residue is one of our main problems behind a combine in A. seed, but I don't think it will be anymore. Lastly by running the 9660STS in the same field as our 9500, and 9610 I would say that the 9660 will probably cut 25-35% more acres for us than the 9610 will. So in the end we picked up the 9660 used if you could call it that (82 sep hours) and 10 of those we put on last fall. And we are currently rebuilding our 9610 and will keep it for now, we put a TSR fine cut chopper in it to see if it will handle the residue like the 9660 fine cut does so I'll have a report on that this fall, the 9500 has been sold it was an 89 and has 1900 sep hours on it, and was a rock solid combine for us and we'll miss it but its only moving across the road to the so we'll seen her often

In the end I wish we could have made the 8010 work because I really liked the looks of the machine, well built and thought out but I guess it wasn't in the cards. Thanks guys for all the help.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quote:Shame on the CaseIH dealer or whoever sent the 8010 out for not helping you get it set. Good luck.

Oh no, to the contrary, the Case IH dealer spent all 3 days with us trying to get it set, they put allot of money and effort into this demo to their credit. I don't think the return processor is going to work with A. seed on the 10 series. They did some pretty major modifications to it and took it to another large seed growers place after ours and again they were not able to make it work. The Deere's rotor is almost 2' longer and the larger separator area in the rotor gave it the advantage it needed to get the small seed knocked out of the chaff. A. seed is a bugger, and traditionally only conventional machines worked really well in it, needless to say we are please that we finally found a rotary that we can make work. Whats funny is allot of the old time seed growers that are still around refuse to believe that it really worked because of their experiences with the axial flows back in the late 70's, they were never made to work well either unless the crop was swathed.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
For those of you unfamiliar with the 10 series CIH, they treat the returns differently than the JD. On a CIH 10 series, the returns from the first seive go into a area where they are stirred up with a paddle and then dumped across the seive again. You have to make sure all threshing is accomplished in the trip thru the rotor, as there is no second chance.

·
Registered
929 Posts
That may be the case in some small grains but in corn and soybeans we love the tailing processor and it does a fine job of getting those stuborn kernals off the bits of broken cob.

Sorry to hear the 8010 didn't work out very well... all in all they are nice machine. I do wish the rotor was a little bit longer however!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand completely that these machines are built and sold for Corn, wheat and soybeans. We are just lucky if we can jimmy rig one to work in our conditions. Its always been that way with A. seed, fortunately for us we were able to find one of the rotaries that could be made to work without swathing.

I too wish that the 8010 would have worked, it was a nice machine, but it does need a little longer rotor for our work.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ralf, as I understand it that was one of the modifications that they made to the 8010 before they tried it the second time in A. seed, I think its called a "hard thrash kit?" Apparently it did help but it didn't solve the problem. And last fall had really good conditions for harvesting A. seed, if it gets tough and the weather goes south it would get even worse.

As far as the MF, Challenger, lexion, Gleaner, ect. Basically the only decent dealers here in the area are John Deere, we have one Case dealer and they are getting better but have been lacking badly for 10+ years. The NH dealer told me on the phone last fall that his boss told them he'd fire any salesman who dared to order another combine, that was comforting

We do have a Cat dealer here and we bought a MT755 from them a few years back, needless to say that was the last bath I care to take on that front, the second seed grower they demoed the 8010 to owns a lexion and would like to trade to something else but no one will take it in trade and no one around here wants to buy it evidently. So as you can see we have very few options around here mainly to do with the quality of the dealer/service that is available. I really do wish that wasn't the case because I know that there are other brands the have excellent equipment, its really a shame.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Very interesting this is. Thank you so much for the report.
I wish you could have tried a Lexion. They have fairly long rotors.
I understand the 8010 has different "inserts" for the returns to match different crops. Apparently there was none to do Alfalfa, right?

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
what about a MF or Challenger or Gleaner A--? They have huge rotors inside and are pretty simple I think. I kind of like the idea of not having a beater. Now you get an electronic stone trap in from and no beater in the back and you have a really simple machine...feedhouse to rotor that drops into the chopper. Not a lot of drives for that baby.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have heard this many times before. The competition just does not compete. NH doesn't even make an effort, Case is not full heartedly on the job, AGCO doesn't exist in many places and Claas (Lexion) is still chewing on the problem caused by the poor performance of the 400 series and the Omaha service department. It is so sad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts