The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have never ran a 4x4 on the farm before. All our "big" tractors are MFWD 8020 or R series. Fast forward a couple years and we are putting up more pivots and want to go to a disk ripper to shatter our plow pan. And stop doing so much moldboard plowing.

I've been demoing a 15' dominator and dragging it with my 8335R, getting between 10-20% slip depending on how dry and hard the ground is. Running 20.8x46's on the rear and 18.4's on the front, Michelin duals all the way around with 12psi and full weights front and rear. No fluid in the tires, really disappointed with the slip. No power hop due to the ILS front end.

Case dealer didn't have a 14' 870 disk ripper to bring out for me to try. They had a 22' so they brought out a 500 Steiger with it to let me try. I actually really liked the tractor and the disk ripper but the tractor was power hopping like mad. Anything over 75-80% power and she started jumping.

Sooooo my question for the 4x4 experts here is:
1.Can the power hop issue be fixed?
2.The tractor was fairly rough compared to my 8335R with ILS, I'm assuming with tires this is the nature of the beast. Pivot tracks can be fairly deep and severe.
3.Is the quadtrac smoother? Obviously the quad would cure the power hop but they are quite a bit more $$.
4.Finally Deere vs Case, we are a 100% JD tractor farm at this point, used wheeled Deere's seem to be cheaper. Deere dealer keeps telling me deere is coming with a quad. I keep telling him I'm not buying new anything, looking for a 2-3 year old machine with 1000 or so hours. Don't put huge hours on and tend to keep tractors for 15-20 years.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Have I got a deal for you....;)

2013 Steiger 500 with just 650 hours on 710/42 duals, loaded with PTO. Your U.S. dollar goes way further up here!

Quad-trac will ride smoother in rutted fields but the wheeled tractor shouldn't hop if ballast and tire pressure are proper. Biggest issue I notice is if the tractor sits for a bit there are flat spots on the tires until you drive it a bit.
We have done some harrowing and cultivating at full load and no hopping.

Do you know what tires and what pressures it was running?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only had the tractor for a couple hours so I didn't get to mess with or check the tire pressures. I think it had 710 firestones on it.

That is about the tractor that I'm looking for, too bad its a little far away! ;)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SW, so I know that your partial to the Steiger but you have demoed several other brand of 4x4's. What is your assessment of the brands and why? Obviously leave the claas out as I can't afford one for what I'm doing ☺

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are going over ground that is soft from already being worked up, the Quads are really smooth. If you're going over ground for the first time and it's really dry and hard, tire 4x4's ride better. For ruts it's a toss up, yeah the tracks can sometimes bridge across a rut, but sometimes you catch them just right and get some violent bumps from them.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Spending some time balancing the weight/tire pressure one time will eliminate the hop for good. But the 4x4s are always going to ride rougher than your ILS. I mean a lot rougher. We have deere for the FWA type, love them, and I wish all steigers for the 4x4s....but we have one of each for the 4x4. Hopefully trade the Deere off for a Steiger when they put a CVT in the big ones.

We would only use FWA if it weren't for needing more weight/power for the grain cart and 9 shank no till ripper.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
SW, so I know that your partial to the Steiger but you have demoed several other brand of 4x4's. What is your assessment of the brands and why? Obviously leave the claas out as I can't afford one for what I'm doing ☺
I'll give you a full run-down when I have more time.;)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's ok I've got time it snowed 6" today, and suppose to be 3 degrees tomorrow night :( On a really bright note we really need the moisture so I won't complain as long as it keeps snowing!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So another thought would be to have my 8335R tuned for more power. The 9l engine would probably tolerate that fairly well I would suppose. Problem is slip, right now I've got the 1400lbs inner weights with I think 2 450's and a 200lbs? On each dual. Dealer said I could pull the duals and put another 450 per side on the drivers. Front has 22 suitcase weights on it already. Would this be enough to stick it to the ground? I think I'm as low as I dare go on tire pressure and not wreck the tires......12psi.

This would obviously be a cheaper option and I would just go with the 16' 870 and take a little longer to get done. The Dominator I think rips a little better but it pulls SO HARD! I need to run a J&M packer behind and I don't think the tractor would handle anything more than the 15' dominator.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.