The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has some experience with using desiccated barley for seed. We desiccated our barley fairly late under 30% moisture for sure. I did a couple of germ tests on it and got 90-94%. I have heard of guys using desiccated wheat and peas for seed with good results. but I have also been told the even if it germs and starts to grow it may not mature or it may have negative yield effects.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have used wheat seed that had been sprayed with glysophate. Turned out well. Do a germ test at a lab and let them know it was sprayed and they can do an in-soil germ test. If vigor and germ comes back good, I'd seed it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's definitely not a recommended practice but will usually show up as an abnormal in a germ test.

That being said there are a lot of poor germ numbers in my area due to the lack of summer and poor fall. 90% would be pretty good here.

Welcome to the forum

·
Super Moderator
2,588 Posts
Should be alright but a germ/vigor much closer to seeding may feel like good insurance.
Accidentally seeded some crap germ barley once, you never forget that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Agree with Don, doing a germ test now will give you poor results, possibly false hope. Barley that has not been sprayed this year is dying off in the bin. Bags are even worse. If you are going to consider it, wait until the barley starts warming up again and then test for germ and vigor.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What about oats? In a pickle here as driest oats were those I sprayed and toughest were those I didn’t spray for seed. It was sprayed late enough but I’ve never tried oats before. Wheat and barley hasn’t been a problem but oats I’m a little hesitant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts