The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering for a heavy growth of large green lentils whether there would be any benefit to adding some roundup with the reglone when desiccating. I was wondering if the roundup would help give a more permanent kill of the lentil when it still wants to grow. I realize the chemical companies will tell you the reglone works so fast the roundup will not have a chance to get in. But has anyone ever tried doing this to prove whether this is the case or not?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I've been debating what to spray on my lentils as well. I've got a lot of canada thistle I'd like to take care of. In the past I've used only glyphosate and heat only, but lately that hasn't worked out all that well in terms of drying down the green weeds for harvest. Last year I used heat and glyphosate and the kochia and other weeds never did dry down, making harvest impossible. After three weeks of waiting for things to die, I finally had to spray reglone on them and eventually things did brown off but by then the lentils themselves were so dry it cost me a lot in dockage. Other years reglone hardly does a thing.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Around here reglone seems to work twice as fast as roundup or even roundup/heat. Think the night time spraying or cooler/cloudier conditions are a bit better too. Anybody else having issues finding Reglone/generic this yr?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
No question glyphosate is slow to kill, particularly in the fall. Heat with glyphosate is somewhat faster, but usually it's 10-14 days before it's dry enough to harvest when it does work that way. Heat by itself is pretty fast but doesn't burn down weeds that great in my experience.

Neither heat nor glyphosate is a desiccant really. But I like them for weed control.

Reglone is fast when it works. Have had several instances in recent years where it just didn't do much. Particularly on fields with a lot of kochia. In my opinion the higher the water rate with reglone the better. 20 gpa works pretty well, for alfalfa we have to use 30 gpa.

I'm still kind of interested in acetic acid as a desiccant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reglone by itself works really well when used properly by itself. Needs lots of water/coverage to do the job. Pay attention to the labels on these products fellas!! Using drydown products off label and out of stage isn't going to help any of us in the long run!!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Reglone by itself works really well when used properly by itself. Needs lots of water/coverage to do the job. Pay attention to the labels on these products fellas!! Using drydown products off label and out of stage isn't going to help any of us in the long run!!
Most of us are fallowing labels. If you knew how hard lush lentils where to kill completely and how unpredictable Reglone is sometimes.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The trick with reglone is to do it in the late evening or night when the temperature is lower and humidity is high. Flat fan nozzles and small droplets. Then your fines don't evaporate off and you get great coverage/droplet lifespan. Say, 16-20 degrees and 50%+ humidity.

Acetic acid doesn't work well at all unless it's very high concentration in the spray tank and then it's sketchy af to handle.

Liberty and gly works very well together. Case in point, some late canola I sprayed down last October was much easier combining on the half section that had gly in the mix vs the half that got straight liberty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most of us are fallowing labels. If you knew how hard lush lentils where to kill completely and how unpredictable Reglone is sometimes.

Never had a miss with it when sprayed in the evening with lots of water. Syngenta calls for 20gpa if i remember right. Have had good luck with anywhere from 15 to 18 depending on canopy thickness. Hell of an effective product. Most of the neighbors i chat with that have had issues were trying to use it like a systemic herbicide.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts